Cody asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

How long does it usually take to master a martial art or a form of fighting/defense?

• Ryan

Martial arts are living growing things. The more you train the more you learn only making you martial art better. They are designed to be done your whole life. To be good at a martial art depends on the style and student some will pick it up quickly and others will have to spend more time, but about 5 years to black belt (give or take) and then another 10 to smooth it out.

• Bon

No way to predict. Everyone progresses at their own pace. It also depends on your definition of "master".

Human beings are not perfect and therefore cannot have perfect understanding. This means no one knows all there is to even one style/form of martial art. A person can come close, but never completely know all there is to their art. This is why it is often said that martial art is a journey and not a destination.

Masters are not an all knowing superbeings. They are simply practitioners who have reached a level of knowledge such that they can continue their learning without the constant guide of a teacher. They have learned how to learn, and not because they know all of it.

Just as when you graduate from high school or college, that does not mean you know everything. It is SUPPOSE to mean you have learned how to study on your own and continue your learning on your own.

You mentioned fighting/defense. This is also dependent on the individual. Some people are quicker than others in understanding the nuances of a REAL fight. Some people are too brainwashed by movies and videos, and it takes time to snap them out of that fantasy world. Some people are the slow, but steady kind of learner. And some people just do not have the perseverance to stick with the program long enough to actually reach a level of effective self-defense.

• John5 months agoReport

It takes years to understand the basics of a single style and a lifetime to master one.

Years and I am not talking about just a few but many really along with a lot of hard work, dedication, and practical experience acquired over those years of training.

I took me 2 years to master judo. I took me about a few months to master Sanda. It depends on the martial art. I'm no master of jiu jitsu but I can take down and defeat black belts now, so I guess that counts as something. I spent 4 years practicing japanese jiu jitsu. Yea, it depends on the martial art and dedication. I practice everyday for an hour.

That being said. I've been a physically and mentally adept person my whole life. Playing football I'd get 15 tackles a game. And my IQ is 137. So that's probably why.

• John5 months agoReport

The same for any martial art I practice. I'm pretty good. But not a master. I'll br like 80 before I'm a master lol

• Paul

probably 3 - 6 years of day in and day out training ...thatll bring u to about 90 percent …

• Kokoro

miyuki & kyojin To master a movement would mean you have mastered all the applications of said movement.

master is kinda vague. what does it even mean. if everybody in the world except you sucked at martial arts and you were as skilled as a white belt with one tip or whatever. then in my book your a master because everybody else is worse. in my opinion you can only be considered a master at something when compared to others

If mastering something means to do it perfect, then there will always be room for improvement.

That depend upon which martial art someone study and how quickly he learn,. Good student master basics of Wing Chun in one year, but same good student need 15 years to learn basics of Pak Hak Pai. Bad student t take longer to learn any style, but exceptional student learn much quicker.

• miyuki & kyojin

Kokoro only prove he is ignorant, and Zig Zag is one of his accounts. Many trolls accuse people of having several accounts. Why they do that? They are the ones with several accounts.

As many as the years you have left to live in this plain of existence.

In other words a lifetime.

• Kokoro

miyuki & kyojin you claim you can master the basics in a year the site proves you wrong. In almost any style a student can defend them selves in as little as 6 months, with a proper instructor.