Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 3 months ago

Ceiling fan light turned on and we have no remote for it?

We have a ceiling fan that is on the tallest ceiling in our house, theres no way to reach it, not even with a ladder. Its up too high. We lost the remote for it a long time ago and this is the first time it has ever turned on, by itself. I tried to flip the switches on the walls on and off to see if that did anything, but it didnt. The fan doesnt have any chains, just the lost remote.

I dont know what to do to turn this thing off. If it stays on is it a fire hazard?

A light in a Ceiling Fan must be off when you switch off it through the main switch unless your fan has a battery system for light (though I have not seen such a fan yet). If it is having a battery then let the bulb glow, it will get dim and then be off when the battery get discharged. In any case that light is not dangerous and wont catch fire, its only cause inconfort.

it is not a fire hazard. it is old and needs checking for replacement. the way one gets up there is via scaffolding. look for a local handyman who has access to that [but not by renting it]

Source(s): grampa

try getting another remote.

• hart

may there is a cross wiring (if so) you have to take the fan down

If it is a remote control ceiling fan you can take the switch that's on the wall turn it off and on off and on off and on fast to change its speed. Or to turn it off you might want to look online and find out what the switch code is. but that's how you turn the light on and off also.

theres no way to reach it, not even with a ladder. Its up too high

Find someone with a REAL ladder. It is physically impossible for it NOT to be reachable by a ladder.

Maybe the remote turned it back on. Did somebody possibly just sit down, remote could be under cushion, or maybe somewhere and somebody sat something on top of it. Look again for the remote.

• D J

I suggest you try to order a new remote.

• .

Get a taller ladder to reach it

Is your name Summer?

Bceuase you're my favorite season

:)

EDIT: What, did you not like my pick up-line? :(