Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 9 months ago

Have you ever acted in a play? Which play, who were you? How did it go down? How did you feel about it?

I've been an actor since high school. I've done well over 100 productions but would not want to bore you with a list. I have been a professional actor for over 30 years. I act because I love doing it, script breakdowns, research, character development, and performance. I'll never be wealthy but theater makes my life rich in other ways.

Favorite Roles and plays

Big Mama in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

Angel in When You Comping Back Red Ryder

Francis Wirtanen in the world premier of Mother Night by Kurt Voneget

Sister Mary Ignatius in Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You

Sisser Bean in The Sugar Witch

Old Woman In Rockaby

Juror 10 in 12 Angry Men

Nick in The Time of Your Life

Gertrude in Finding The Sun

Aleksi A. Prelapsarinov in Slavs

just starting in theatre. i was ursula in the little mermaid, tiger lily and the crocodile in peter pan and im currently in beauty and the beast as cogsworth. i've also helped with costumes, mics, moving sets etc. backstage

I wrote a play while in High School and later we presented as drama club

• John P

In the last 20 years I have acted in many plays, and helped with technical bits such as lighting and sound for others. That is as part of an amateur drama group in southern England.So, possibly 40 full length plays and pantomimes and one-act-plays in that time. Our audiences appreciated our efforts - we have usually played to full houses, and between us we have gained several awards at drama festivals. It is fun, hard work at times, and always with that danger of forgetting one's lines, etc!

Note that in Britain a "pantomime" is a Christmas production aimed at family audiences with young children; tales of good an evil in which the baddies always lose eventually, presented with much singing and cross-dressing! Definitely not "mime" as known in the USA.

I was in a student production of a Russian play at university, directed by our Russian tutor. It was great fun but I've never felt the urge to act since.

Apparently Svyatoslav Richter was in the audience. Luckily we had no idea.

I too have been in well over 100 plays. Started in community theater when I was 12. Have a BA in Theater. Worked professionally for over 15 years.

Some of my favorite work involved working with new playwrights developing new plays. It’s often such a collaborative environment and you’re the first person to create this character.

I’ve also had some bad experience like an alcoholic producer/director which meant the cast and crew were up all night finishing the set and costumes before opening all night or an actor who started doing lines from a completely different play he was doing at the same time. The one redeeming thing about a bad experience is that you survive it and it makes an entertaining story later on down the road.

• Cogito

Not since I was a kid.

But my daughter, who is a professional actor, has acted in about 70 to 80 plays. She loves it and has had many great reviews.

• Benny

I was the star of my first-grade play, as the main character was a giant and I was the tallest kid in the class. I was really proud and enjoyed it, which is funny because now I get extremely nervous with public speaking.

I have, it's called "My Life" It was supposed to be a drama but it turned into a comedy. I'm still laughing.