Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 9 months ago

Be honest, how many of you are actually scared of going to see live theatre? Why? What's the worst that can happen?

I don't think I've heard of anyone being scared of going to live theater? Maybe someone with agoraphobia, but that's applicable to all places outside the person's home, not just theaters.

I've typically enjoyed it when I've gone.

Scared? No. I wouldn't enjoy audience participation, but my main concern would be boredom or it just being strikingly bad. With live theatre it's a bit more difficult to leave without being rude.

So far that hasn't happened, but I've been surprised by a small private, modern jazz performance by some apparently renowned jazz musicians, which alas to my ears sounded more like nails scraping against a blackboard, and where it was impossible to leave without being rude to the host. Those were some of the longest two hours of my life.

• scared? never, why would you be scared of the theatre? unusual.

Is that actually a thing? I've been to dozens of plays both on Broadway and the West End.

I wouldn't want to be dragged into 'audience participation' but generally I know in advance - from reviews, or from friends who've already been - if that's likely. So I probably wouldn't go.

Otherwise I can't think of any reason to be scared of going to the theatre.

• phoebe

This is highly unlikely to happen, but since you asked about the worst case scenario: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-701

• Tina

That sounds fun!

I love attending live theater. I just attended an outdoor production of Macbeth last weekend and the only thing I was scared about was there was a chance of rain. It sprinkled a little but not enough to interfere with anything.

• Cogito

We just sat there, soaked to the skin! Nothing was going to make me leave! My entire family stayed too, as did most of the audience. This year's King Lear was dry, thank heavens! Fun times!

• Cogito

I've just come back from the theatre - an afternoon performance - in Reading, UK.

No - I wasn't scared. Not at all. Why would I be?

It was really enjoyable - excellent acting by everyone, good directing, no problems at all.

My daughter was performing in the play so I knew there was no audience participation, which is the one thing that would terrify me!

It's no more scary than watching something at the state fair.

The worst that can happen is some audience participation, when someone is forced from the crowd to...

.... no actually the very worst is if an extremist terrorist burst in, screamed “allah akbar”, hit a detonator and blew everyone to smithereens...(arms and legs flying everywhere) that or a crazy American, who has had a bad week, could run in with an assault rifle and start picking off audience members - because he can't get a girlfriend for himself and was seuxally abused by mummy