I am learning to play the guitar, and was wanting to know, which notes on the guitar strings do not have sharps?

For example: the string chords from top to bottom are EADGBA, the top string played open is E, so pressing down on the first fret would be E Sharp, then F then F sharp, G and G sharp, but I know there are a couple that don't have sharps, which ones are they? Thank you for any help

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

E sharp is the same as F. B sharp is C.

• 2 months ago

There is no fret between E→F and B→C. All the other notes have a fret between them which is a flat or sharp, depending on the key and which direction you're going.

As Mamianka (our resident theory expert) has correctly pointed out, the notes E# and B# do exist, but on guitar, you will play them as F and C. Technically, all the other flats and sharps are separate notes too...for instance F# and Gb are slightly different pitches, but on guitar, they are played in the same place. This is information to tuck away for future reference, but nothing you need to worry about as a beginning guitarist.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is the type of question where it's difficult to know where to start. There's no such thing as a “string chord” but a “chord” is three or more notes played together.

The open strings of the guitar, from bottom to top, are EADGBE.

If you fret either of the E strings at the first fret the note you get is F - there is NO E#/Fb.

Similarly, the B string fretted at the first fret produces a C note - there is no B#/Cd.

• 2 months ago

I'm sorry, but you're not asking a meaningful question. There is no E sharp since one step (half tone) up from E is F. Similarly, one step up from B is C. Also, the strings from top to bottom are EBGDAE, since "top" refers to highest frequency (note), not vertical position when holding the guitar. Please trust me when I say that you would benefit greatly from lessons with a professional guitar teacher. Not only will he get you started on the right track to success on guitar but he will also teach you music theory which you will discover is extremely useful to know and valuable to any musician.

Good luck!

Source(s): Playing guitar for 57 years
    • Tommymc
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Again, I go back to the original question. The OP is under the impression that fret 1 of the E strings is E# which makes fret 2 become F. Simply not true, and very confusing for a beginner to think in terms of E# being a normal note.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

There are two sharps which are the same pitch as naturals - E sharp and B sharp are the same pitch as F natural and C respectively (conversely C flat and F flat are the same pitch as B and E) - but every note can have a sharp. For instance if you were playing in F sharp major you would notate it as E sharp and not as F natural - as you cannot have both an F natural AND F# in a key, even if the actual pitch is the same.

So going up the E string by fret you could think of it as E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# - but all of those pitches could have other names. If you took it to a ridiculous length you could write it as Fb Gbb F# G Ab Gx Bb Cb C C# etc - but that would be a complete nightmare to read.

• 2 months ago

All notes have either sharps or flats, depending on which key you are playing in.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Loonasee is correct - even though some of this is odd or seldom used

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.