why does iTunes need internet access to sync music CDs onto my library?

I noticed my internet went out and while syncing music cd's I noticed it didn't show the track names without internet out of curiosity I'm wondering why it needs access to syncing cd's onto my iTunes?

Itunes doesn't come with a crystal ball.

The song titles are not encoded onto standard audio CDs.

So without online access iTunes won’t know the track names and will just list them by default starting with “Track 1”. It also cannot get the album cover artwork.

Online access allows it to compare the ripped music tracks to online databases such as Gracenote and then assign names to them, but the recognition is not always accurate.

Super Audio CD (SACD) and DVD-audio (DVD-A) are both fairly rare formats but do carry the audio track names and usually album artwork, so will provide correct data when ripped to an offline computer.

• Ducky

iTunes gets track/album info from a database, if you can't connect to the data base then it will give you default track names