WiFi connection issue ?

So I work from home and answer calls for an answering service company. I get customers complaining that there’s a static sound or calls keeps on breaking up. I’m connected to WiFi . Is that a internet connection issue or should I buy an Ethernet cord and get it wired for a better speed ? Or upgrade to a better computer because mine is an older one.

• Lv 7

you should not use internet for phones unless you have a reliable internet.

test with your friends...

I work from home too. My computer is connected to the Internet through WiFi too.

Is your Internet connectivity other than voice calls high quality? Does video stream to your computer at high quality? Do you have a newer 802.11ac WiFi router? Is your computer 802.11ac capable?

For voice the first thing I'd suspect is your headset, don't use a cheap headset, that can be a cause of poor quality voice calls over the Internet. I use a Plantronics Voyager headset. I sometimes talk to people in our company offices on the corporate wired network that use cheap headsets and their connections sound terrible.

You should try experimenting with a wired connection to see if that solves your problem, easy and cheap thing to try. If not, the next thing I'd try is a new high quality headset. If you still have the problem I'd try a newer computer.

• Roddy

For quality critical work, such as acting as a call centre or answering service, you should ALWAYS use ethernet and not WiFi. WiFi has a more restricted bandwidth and is subject to electrical interference that could show up as a noisy line. Using ethernet to connect to your router also ensures that your calls are more secure and cannot be evesdropped.

• Joe

I'd first blame your headset, or the headset jack in the computer.

It's very unlikely that any kind of Internet connection issue would produce audio static.

• P

If ethernet is an option I would try that first. Otherwise static issues can also be caused by a bad headset.

The best thing you can try is to use Ethernet. Wi-Fi is convenient, but it is a radio frequency that is prone to interference and signal degradation the farther it has to travel. Wi-Fi is also inherently slower than Ethernet. There's no way for anyone here to know what "an older one" is. Is it more than 10 years old or how old is "older one"?.