zenon_k asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 9 months ago

How do I return to Windows 7 from Windows 10, having several problems.?

I "upgraded" to Windows 10 in order to get a PC controller to work. It's been an absolute disaster. Basically, all I want to do is switch back. Apparently my files are still here, although I can't access any of them in Windows 10. I can view some programs, but none of them function. But the actual files, like Word documents, videos, pictures, will not show up at all. I click on the user profile, and it either gets stuck near the end of the loading bar,

or "loads" it but won't let me access it (activating hidden files and all that does nothing). Again, if I can get these back that would save me a lot of time and headache, but all I want to do is get rid of this bullshit. On top of all this, none of the Windows programs work. I can't type in anything, so I had to download a new browser. In the windows programs, I can click on things on the left and right "tabs", but when I click on any option in the middle, it highlights the option across in the

opposite tab. Apparently I'm supposed to to Update and Security, then Recovery, and then I can revert back to Windows 7 and the files will all be as they were. But I can't click in the middle to get there. What am I supposed to do? Failing all that, how to I get rid of this **** once and for all?

Take help from a software engineer........

i'm thinking that you had your files stored on a different drive than C: or maybe just your desktop was stored on a seperate drive. so it looks like you have programs and files there but they're really somewhere else or were deleted.

on the other hand, it could also be a registry issue. it would be best to do a backup of your current system (especially your programs and files) and do a clean install of windows 10. then reinstall your programs and migrate your files over manually (if you can find them. personally, i like the search utility SEARCH EVERYTHING). 10 itself is actually good.

if you can't go back to win 7 while in the trial period it's likely because of a corrupt install or because you're looking at the wrong menu.

I would suggest that before you fiddle around with your OS by re-formatting & wiping, you try to recover any important files first. You could do this by firstly removing your hard drive from your computer and connecting it to another (through a second SATA cable, a SATA to USB adapter, etc; just make sure not to disconnect the primary hard drive of said second computer). After this you could ideally just boot up this computer as you would regularly and recover your files by exploring your corrupted hard drive in Windows Explorer- or whatever file manager said computer's OS uses.

The exact methods to removing your hard drive and connecting it to another computer varies greatly depending on your situation, supplies, and exact computers you're using; but Google & YouTube are your best friends.

If that doesn't work you could seek other methods of data recovery, both on your own with the internet's help or professionally in a worst-case scenario.

Once your important files are recovered, if possible, you can then look to do a clean install of Windows 10 or Windows 7-- be it through mounting an ISO, using an installation disk, or any other method (all of which are covered in great detail all over the internet).

If your computer is still acting up after a clean install of an OS, it's almost definitely a hardware fault. In this case you'd be best to buy a new hard drive and install whatever OS you choose on it.

• hart

may you have a HDD problem hardware

replace to SSD

• AAAJ

Format the Operating system drive & install Windows 7

• keerok

Reformat the HDD then install win7 from scratch.

Windows 10 allows you to roll back to your previous OS within 30 days of performing the installation. Under setting > Update & Recovery, you should have an option to go back to Windows 7.

If that option is not there, then you cannot roll back to Windows 7. The only option then is to perform a clean installation from your Windows 7 media. This will remove everything from the system, so you will need to back up anything you don't want to lose.

• David

Used to be 30d now it’s 7d

• David

Once you upgrade to windows 10 your are allowed 10days to roll back to Windows 7. After that your windows 7 operating files are removed and you will have to reinstall windows 7 from your window 7 installation disks

It is possible that windows 10 has failed to install properly. Also support for windows 7 ends in January 2020 and Microsoft will stop issuing security updates after that, so your computer will be vulnerable to malicious attack. Ideally you should get windows 10 working properly. Before throwing in the towel and reinstalling W7 I would reset windows 10 and see if that helps

To do this

Start>settings>update and security>recovery>reset this PC

choose the option to keep your files.

HTH

Wipe the hard disk by rubbing a magnet on it that way u will wipe the old windows 10 off. Then go online and download windows 7 off the website and put the disk in the computer and hit the power button.

You do a manual install with an ISO image that has windows 7 on it.