Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 11 months ago

Eviction questions?

My fiance and I did not pay rent to our previous landlord when we found out he was trying to sell the home without us knowing. For whatever reason the home wasn't sold then he asked us for the rent and we told him we were leaving at the end of the month. He filed an eviction that day against my fiance. Got three day notice then he took it to court and we left and because my fiance didn't show up the landlord won. Since we already left will that effect him renting again? The landlord only knew his first and last name and not his middle name will an eviction show on his record if case wasn't filed with his full name? Thanks for answers.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

"when we found out he was trying to sell the home without us knowing"

What does that have to do with you that the OWNER sold the property? None of your business in the least as long as all laws are abided by in your area concerning your lease as it existed with the previous owner, in this case the still owner.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Of course this will affect future rentals. You and your fiance made a series of bad choices and wrong assumptions here. Nobody had to give you notice they were trying to sell the home. What happens after that is written somewhere in your lease.

But not showing up in court? It sounds like he would have lost anyway, but blowing off a problem doesn't make it magically disappear. Once the eviction lands in the courts, it's a legal thing that WILL appear on rental history. I don't know why you'd think otherwise.

• Eva
    Lv 5
    11 months ago

The eviction will show. The landlord is under no obligation to tell you he is putting the home up for sale. He doesn't have to notify you until the sales contract is signed. You had no right to withhold rent. Then your fiance stupidly did not show up in court. The judgement is now filed on the county records for anyone to see.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Had you paid the rent for the month you were leaving at the end of? If not, you owe it, and yes he can evict you. Yes it will affect his ability to rent in the future.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Yes......most likely the address of the property is linked to your fiancé's name on any credit report.

• 11 months ago

The landlord can sell the property without telling you - your lease would be valid until the end of the term, and your lease would move to the new owner.

If you haven't paid rent, you have violated the lease; he can indeed start proceedings against you.

• 11 months ago

Even if you moved out...you might still have active tenancy in place. So, an eviction may still be required.

Don't forget, you will get sued for the money you didn't pay. If the landlord doesn't want to handle this, they will sell the debt to a collection agency...

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Of course it will ! Evictions are public records it will show up in a background check.

• 11 months ago

Him listing the home for sale did not stop your obligation to pay your rent. If you did not you are in violation and since she did not even bother to go to court (where she probably would have lost anyway) she automatically lost. You will probably be sued for nonpayment of rent.

• 11 months ago

I've lived in an apartment of a building that was being sold. It does not absolve you from paying rent for your stay there. Any buyer contact YOU after the bank finalizes the paperwork. You needed to pay rent, regardless of what the owner was doing.

It will show on his record. You made a bad choice.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.