Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

My landlord decided to charge me extra rent and did not inform me during the lease signing and payment for first last and security?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • DJC
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Talk to a tenants-rights organization. They can help you with this better than Yahoo Answers can. Tenants-rights organizations are more versed in state-specific rent laws than people from Y!A who could be from any state in the country or any country in the world.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If it's not in the lease, they can ask, you can say no.

• 2 months ago

EVERYTHING you're legally obligated to do is in the lease itself. Read it. The $ amounts are specified in it.

• 2 months ago

you were informed with the lease. the lease should specify a start date. if July 1 is not listed as the start date it defaults to the day you signed it.

SO what does the lease say?

She DID NOT TRICK YOU if its in the LEASE you supposedly read and signed.

ok, if you didn't get the keys to the 29th, you can argue you only owe for 29-30...unless it was your failure to show up and get the keys earlier.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You signed a lease that says you are responsible for rent as of June 24th...

1. Learn to read a lease before you sign it.

2. If a potential landlord tells you that they want someone to move in right away, understand that means they expect a person to begin paying right away and they don't care if you actually live there. Thus, you should have said, I cant move in until August 1st and if this wasn't a match, then you would move on.

3. For a low end rental expecting it to be available in over a month is not very likely. If you want to move on Aug 1st, start looking for places after the 5th of July.

• 2 months ago

The landlord cannot charge you more rent than in the lease.

Read your lease. Whatever you signed is legally binding.

You owe rent from the day the lease starts, irrelevant from when you actually moved in. So if the lease runs from the 1st July, you owe rent from the 1st July.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your contract began on 24 June when you signed, so of course you owe rent from that date, unless you were not given the keys...otherwise it is from the date you got the keys........regardless of if you lived in it or not

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

What day did she give you the keys?

What does the lease say?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I signed the lease back in June 24th but it’s for July. She wanted told me that she wanted someone to love in right away but told her I can’t since I still need to give notice to my current place. So I paid for first which is for July, last and security deposit during the signing. I didn’t even live there yet during July. I just slowly moved something and finally fully moved in July 31st, but I never actually slept there til the last day of July. Anyways, I lived here now and everything is fine but two days ago I received a letter notice from the landlord. It was saying that I have delinquent rent. At first, I got consumed cuz I just paid rent this month. Then I read it again and it says I’m supposed to pay for June 24th-30th. I know I signed on June 24th but that’s because she told us to come in and sign but it’s for July. That’s why I paid for, we have receipts. Why only now they are charging us. There was no mention of this during the interview nor the signing day. Is this legal?

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

If you had the RIGHT to move in, you owe rent for that month, whether or not you were actually living there, as you agreed to start paying for its use.

• R P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Was the additional rent specified in the lease? If so and you signed the lease, you owe the money.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.