canadacraig asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

Do you know what a LaserDisc is? Have you ever played one or watched a LaserDisc movie?

I own a LaserDisc player and about 30 or so LaserDiscs. Problem is... you need an old TV set to watch them. You CAN watch a LaserDisc on a new Flatscreen TV with only an HDMI input - so they say - but I've never seen it done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc

• Benny

Yes. No. 💿💿💿💿💿💿

I think only rich people back in the day had them? Weren't very affordable or accsessible to the majority of people.

I still remember certain points in certain movies when it was necessary to change sides or change discs.

When I was little they were all in my classrooms and we constantly had to watch school material on them. They were a VHS alternative at the time but unlike DVD they weren't on regular store shelves and you had to back order the laser discs.

I have two players and over 200 titles on LDs.

You can connect any LD player to any TV.

If the only input on the TV is HDMI,

get an "AV2HDMI" converter,

which costs only $25 to $30.

I have a Laserdisc player in my workshop, a Sony LVA4700. It's been there years, it's just too big and heavy to put anywhere else!

It works, or did the last time i tried it.

Any TV that can work with analog AV should be compatible, or analog to HDMI adapters that work with other older analog gear such as video games etc. should be OK.

(I can't get to the back of this easily, to see what video output it has - it's about ten years since I used it for anything).

You have to admit the discs are a bit unwieldy though, the size of an LP record in its sleeve and something like half an inch thick in a cassette...

• Robert J

The machine - this is the best photo I can find on line:
      http://svv-media.de/images/device/image/D03040001.jpg

I know what a LaserDisc is, I saw one once years ago. Both the player and the machine looked very impressive at the time from what I can remember.