Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 5 months ago

Why is New York so racist, despite no history of slavery..?

Sadly, many New Yorkers are bigoted, and often say the N-word in secret. Why are they so racist, since NY had very few if any slaves? Serious question, so no rudeness in your answers. I'm not black nor white and I genuinely want to know.

• Ben
    Favorite Answer

It be more nativist than racist because it's so integrated.

NYC is actually less racist than say LA, California the only racist people in NYC are Jews and Italians they’re just p!ssed because blacks and puerto ricans are teaming up there and pushing them out 😊😊

• Chris5 months agoReport

Well you need to be telling that to those dumb whites who keep acting the same way about ALL black people and need to realize that there is good and bad people in every group.

What did you take a day trip to New York and Now think you know everything about it? I was born there and live there for over three decades. It’s no more racist than any place else. And black people call themselves the N-word all the time. I lived in New York when they started doing that I remember it distinctly. It was a good move on their part to defuse the word. I also, being white, got a lot of nasty comments from black people when Bernie Goetz shot those black guys on the subway. Because I look hardly any thing like Bernie Goetz did they would say “oh look there Go Bernie Goetz “ just because I was white and wore glasses. I also had good friends in New York who were creative, highly intelligent black people. You’re trying to make things seen black and white, pun intended, when it’s more complex than that. There are stupid ignorant white people and stupid ignorant black people and stupid ignorant people of every ethnic and racial group in NYC just like there anywhere else.

• atomic fireball

Try to score some weed maybe. Because It sounds like the second option would be a real longshot for somebody like you, little man

RACIST IMMIGRANTS

• Sharon

New York State had slavery and slaves. Slavery in NYS was abolished by law on July 4, 1827. Any racism is due to bad upbringing by various ethnicities

• DEBS

Why would you assume that racism is a result of slavery? There are plenty of racist places in the world which have never had slavery.

• atomic fireball

Wow. You’re smart for this place......

Absolutely it is.

New York is a largely populated city filled with races of all kinds. Places with history of slavery are the deep south, and they are still mostly populated with whites so... Yeah your analogy is sh*t to be honestly with you. It's a major city, it's gonna receive more attention than some backwoods ****. But it damn sure isn't more racist lol

• Susie

What do people that owned slaves a 160 yrs ago, have anything to do with anyone living anywhere today??