promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 9 months ago

Who's side on you on?

A little kid screamed to the top of his lungs right into an autistic man's ear in a restaurant and the autistic man punched the kid across the face so hard the kid went flying. and the man was arrested. who's side is right?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

This is a tough one. But punching is worse than screaming

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Obviously, the autistic guy was wrong, but he should get a light sentence considering

that loud noises are especially painful and disturbing for autistic people.

• 9 months ago

Peter Gore Seer,

Both Were Child Minded but The Boy Was Harmed. And A Child Screams Can Reach A Terrifying Frequency, That Can Hurt The Brain.

• 9 months ago

That’s a hard one. I think I’d sympathise with the Autistic man and the child. I’d wonder where the caretaker of the autistic man was and why the parents of the kid weren’t watching and teaching their kid to be more responsible. It’s not the Autistic man or the kid’s fault.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Not on the side of the parents of the kid, or on the side of the autistic person's human associates either, and definitely not on the side of the law officials who thought it appropriate to arrest a mentally handicapped person for "excessively" responding to an assault. The least guilty party here would be the poor autistic person just minding his own business.

• 9 months ago

if the autistic man can't control himself, he would be not guilty due to mental disease or defect and consequences would be based on that...could be placement in a supervised or more restrictive setting.

the big question would be where was his care taker if he can't control himself. The care taker is liable.

If he was thought to be not in need of a care taker, he is criminally liable and can be jailed.

• Will
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Neither, but more on the kid's side. If the child were an adult that would be considered assault had it caused hearing loss in the victim. However the adult, autistic or not, intentionally struck the child with the intention of causing harm and therefore will be arrested and charged with assault/battery (depending on the state).

People with cognitive disabilities don't deserve any slack. Especially people with autism. They damn well know right from wrong. I know this first hand due to having worked with some and going to school with some. They know damn well what is right and wrong. And they are capable of learning when you are stern with them. They just can't analyze social behavior such as facial expressions, tones of the voice, when to shut up, etc..

• ...Show all comments
    • sparrow
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

But too much sensory input can be painful for them, so I definitely think they deserve some slack. How could you work with them and think otherwise??

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Sounds like neither side was ready for a public outing, but punching is worse than screaming.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Good. That brat should not been screaming;

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.