How can I break my bad habit of reckless driving?

21 y/o male college student. I’ve always been passionate about cars, and have owned a lot of fast cars. I’ve driven all of them very recklessly (weaving between traffic at very high speeds, driving fast on the shoulder, etc) , but have never been in any accident in my life and I haven’t gotten pulled over because... show more 21 y/o male college student. I’ve always been passionate about cars, and have owned a lot of fast cars. I’ve driven all of them very recklessly (weaving between traffic at very high speeds, driving fast on the shoulder, etc) , but have never been in any accident in my life and I haven’t gotten pulled over because i’m very careful about watching out for cops. When I think about the stuff I have gotten away with i’m so grateful because they could have easily resulted in accidents or my car being impounded. I realize that my luck has to run out at some point and I want to improve myself to become a better, safer driver before I do cause an accident or get arrested but it’s difficult for me because I feel like i’m in a different state of mind when driving fast, i’m not thinking about the consequences of it, only enjoying the adrenaline rush. I also realize it could result in a big expense for me especially as a college student. Usually i’m very good with self control and i’m self aware about my actions and their consequences, but I haven’t been able to break this bad habit since I was 16 and I just know I can’t get away with driving how I do for the rest of my life.
8 answers 8