Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 5 months ago

How can I break my bad habit of reckless driving?

21 y/o male college student. I’ve always been passionate about cars, and have owned a lot of fast cars. I’ve driven all of them very recklessly (weaving between traffic at very high speeds, driving fast on the shoulder, etc) , but have never been in any accident in my life and I haven’t gotten pulled over because i’m very careful about watching out for cops. When I think about the stuff I have gotten away with i’m so grateful because they could have easily resulted in accidents or my car being impounded. I realize that my luck has to run out at some point and I want to improve myself to become a better, safer driver before I do cause an accident or get arrested but it’s difficult for me because I feel like i’m in a different state of mind when driving fast, i’m not thinking about the consequences of it, only enjoying the adrenaline rush. I also realize it could result in a big expense for me especially as a college student. Usually i’m very good with self control and i’m self aware about my actions and their consequences, but I haven’t been able to break this bad habit since I was 16 and I just know I can’t get away with driving how I do for the rest of my life.

Get a racing motorcycle and go to drag strip or track, race all you want in relative safety, minimal danger to public. $$$ may be limitation- so racing Dirt Bike or Baja Buggy is low cost choice, some racing go karts doing over 100 mph. Or see if racing lawnmower events in your area- 50 mph on a old Sears Craftsmen with changed pulleys, motorcycle carb on industrial small engine so it can go to 8000 rpm for one race can give you a rush with some safety, satisfy urge to play silly games in traffic. Jalopy races in your area? Motocross?

• Scott

By growing up and not acting like an entitled turd. The consequences of reckless driving can be severe. Loss of license, expensive insurance (if any company will insure you), jail time, and that's not even if you hit someone. You're a serious accident just waiting to happen.

There are two options.

1/ Consider what could happen. Driving like a total jerk eventually leads to a crash. That crash could injure or even kill YOU. Or it could injure or kill someone else. If a jerk driver killed one of my kids they'd better hope the cops got to them before I did.

2/ Or you could just grow up and stop being a jerk.

''..and I just know I can’t get away with driving how I do for the rest of my life.''

True enough. My grandfather was t-boned by a driver like you and later died of complications from a leg amputation. My sister's fiancee was killed while riding with someone who drove like you. So before your luck runs out and you ruin somebody else's life, and the lives of the myriad of family and friends that it disrupts you need to start exercising self discipline.

You can enforce this by driving a low-performance vehicle. That doesn't mean dispensing with the cool factor. For example I've been driving a restored 1970 vw bus for 30 years and it was already 20 years old when I bought it. Previously I had been terrorizing the world behind the wheel of a 1968 Olds 442 convertible with a hot-rodded engine. Although I miss it in all likelihood I would have eventually killed myself in it. God knows I came close more than a few times.

My bus has very low acceleration poor handling and poor braking by modern standards but it has taught me to be very conservative because there would be no protection in an accident and it is rare enough and valuable enough that I don't want anything to happen to it. And it's a very cool vehicle. Collectors drool over it. If you can't control your reckless driving then get yourself something antiquish like it that you would enjoy owning that will force you to grow up and start driving sanely

Dr Phil can help you Skippy.

Contact his show.

If you can afford fast cars then why are you in college? It looks like your better off then most people. Unless mommy and daddy provided them for you.

Get in a wreck and kill a kid. Watch their parents cry in court. Get @^$%#&'d in prison. Get out broke and work mopping floors overnight to make ends meet. Live in a crack shack apartment, making just enough to pay for rent, ramen, rice and beans. Maybe after a few years you can save up enough to move somewhere where you aren't known for being a complete idiot. Maybe some day you will make enough to afford to get your license back, high risk insurance and a 1990 Hyundai.

Or stop being a street racing joke and build a track car.

drive a car incapable of speed