tina asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

Chihuahua puppy question?

Ok so I found 2 chihuahuas on Craigslist I went and pick them up and took them to the vet to find out the female was pregnant. Skip forward a few months and my chihuahua had 4 puppys I re homed the puppy’s at 9 weeks old. And I had one of the new owners call me 4 days after gettin the puppy saying the puppy wouldn’t move and puking and had no energy. Mind u this dog was full of life and energy at my house. They take the dog to the vet an the vet says they wanna put the dog down because it’s sugar levels were at 9!! My question is could this happen in 4 days? The puppy was eating regular soft puppy food at my house :(

• *****

Hypoglycemia can be a major problem in small breed puppies and is why good breeders of small breeds don't place them in homes until 12 weeks old or more, when they're better able to regulate their blood sugar levels and can tolerate some disturbance in their routine. Likely the new owner was not feeding on an appropriate schedule and/or did not seek vet care when the puppy wasn't eating well. Of course this can happen in four days. This can happen in less than 24 hours!

• tina9 months agoReport

Thanks for answering I’m so heart broken for this puppy

well its the mans fault moslty for not taking the puppy to the vet when he noticed this issue

I'd ask them to bring the puppy straight back and have YOUR vet test it for what's going on. I don't see this is a euth situation and I'd want my trusted vet to be involved before that happened.

For future reference, once you found the b itch was pregnant, you could/should have had a gravid spay done to avoid any of this. Being a breeder and finding good homes for those you want to sell, can be such a minefield.

You stupidly bought sickly dogs from a backyard breeder. They probably had parvo and so do the puppies. The people you bought these dogs from surely KNEW they were sick but just didn't want to deal with the expense!

If you have a phone number and/or address for these people (I'm certain you have NEITHER!) then report them to animal control for selling sickly animals. Next time ADOPT from a shelter.

• Verulam 1

@AR Why don't you read the question - OP bought the 2, admittedly foolishly, from Craigslist and then found one was pregnant - and produced 4 puppies which she sold at 9 weeks. One has become sick. This has happened long after she bought the original pair.

Yes it can happen.

i would ask the vet why that happened

Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar is a common problem in small breed puppies

• Lafawnduh

cute puppy btw. my parents chihuahua/min pin is 15y/o, i'll probably get a puppy after he passes away.

The dog had puppies a FEW MONTHS AFTER YOU ADOPTED IT? How many days do you think a dog is pregnant? Sounds like a cover story,

The only person who can answer this is the Vet that treated the dog. LEGALLY the "adoption contract" rules who is responsible for what.

• tina9 months agoReport

I had the dog 46 days an she went into labor and then I kept the puppy’s for 9 weeks so yes a few months went by ...

Yes, and if you are asking because you may be liable financially in some way, just make sure that you get a full report from the vet concerned before agreeing to pay anything. It is true that, whilst diabetes could well have shown up suddenly, there are scammers who will try to extract payments from the unsuspecting. And puking isn't necessarily a major symptom of diabetes. So do your checks and balances.

This is why BYBers are not a good thing.

Did you even take the puppies to the vet and have them checked and shots/deworming done before you sold the puppies? If not, then well you could get in a lot of trouble.

Should have waited 12 weeks anyway since they are a small breed. Also should have gotten them aborted if you know nothing about pregnancy and puppies, it varies on different breeds. It was definitely early enough, if you had her for a bit over a month before the birth. Please get her spayed.

Yes, this can happen in 4 days or less.

The dog came from craigslist pregnant. They didn't take care of the dog very well. They just wanted your money and to get rid of the dog. Sorry....

(Not calling you a BYBer but you bought dogs from one at least, otherwise this would have never happened from a shelter or high end quality dog. And that is why you never buy a dog from a BYBer)

Wow how many BYBers are on here?👇 🤦‍♀️💔