Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 10 months ago

do i have antibiotic resistance?

my doctor give me some antibiotics for my ear infection. i only took them for 3 days. i looked on the internet and read something about antibiotic resistance. im really scared. do i have this and am i gonna die?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

Antibiotic resistance refers to the ability of bacteria to become immune to the effects of an antibiotic- it is not a response by the host organism. Typically, antibiotics begin to work within 3 days. However, they are usually given longer because even though the symptoms of infection disappear, you want to be sure that the drug has killed all of the offending bacteria. If some are left alive, they can develop a genetic mutation that makes them harder to treat the next go around.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Layne
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

You hear something new every day. I have heard of antibiotics being resistant but I may be wrong and I am no expert.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

hopefully .

• 10 months ago

Stay off the internet! No you are not going to die! No you are not antibiotic resistant. Go finish your medicine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

You can not "have" antibiotic resistance!

The bacteria in your ear MIGHT be resistant to your antibiotic but three days is NOT long enough to give the antibiotic you are taking to clear up any normal bacteria. You MUST take the medication until the prescribed dose has been used - usually for between 5 and 7 days! Failure to complete the course of medication might even be contributing, albeit in a tiny way, to the particular bacteria in your ear actually developing resistance - so ALWAYS complete the course!

Source(s): Pharmaceutical chemist
  • D g
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

so you took the antibiotics .. if the disease you hve is resistant to antibiotics then you will have no effect WHY WOULD THAT SCARE YOU..

ITS NOT YOU that is resistant it is the virus or bacteria that is resistant

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

You should ALWAYS complete the treatment. Stop reading stuff on the net. The greatest cause of death is a road traffic accident. Worry about that.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

< i only took them for 3 days >

Stupidity like this is why there is antibiotic resistance.

• 10 months ago

no, you are probably not going to die, but if the infection returns, the doctor may have to use a stronger antibiotic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.