What coding language should I start with?

Hi.

I want to teach myself how to code, where should I start?

Try .Ahk (AutoHotKey) Its really easy, and pretty useful :3

Basically you can start from c and C++ first.

• mahi5 months agoReport

I agree

You can start with the C programming language as a beginner in the coding world as C being the old, reliable and easy to understand programming language and it is also called as the base of programming languages. Learning C language first will help you to easily understand other advanced programming languages.

• jj

The base of programming languages are assembly languages as they were the first languages. Before assemblers, code was manually input in binary (octal, EBDIC, EBDIC) using mechanical devices like rocker switches.

I always started with the one that could do what I wanted to do. When I wanted to program arduino micro-controllers to interact with my flight sim, I learned C. When I wanted to create some programs for my windows pc, I learned C#. When I was learning Electrical Engineering, I learned FORTRAN. When I wanted to do web pages, I learned HTML, CSS, some Java. The principle is the same no matter which language you choose and once you learn one, the others become a lot easier to learn. Think of a project you want to do and see which language best suites that need and begin.

It depends on how you plan to learn. If it's real course, they'll tell you what they're teaching you. For self-study, what I think is most important is to pick a tutorial that will inspire you to write code on your own as soon as possible. That's where you really learn to program.

The actual language doesn't matter much, in principle. What matters is the "quality time" you spend practicing. The language I started with, APL, is nearly extinct now; but I was excited enough by the range of things you could do with it that I kept at it. The time spent was more like "fun" than "practice". Later I learned other languages--also on my own.

So, if you're going to use the free e-books at Invent With Python, you'll learn Python first.

Pick the free lessons at Khan Academy in their "Computer Programming" video series, then you'll start with JavaScript.

Pick a book like "Head First Java", and you'll learn Java first.

The "tutorial" and websites like Codecademy and TutorialsPoint are decent ways to learn a second or third language, but I don't think they're very good at explaining concepts to a beginner. Still, anything can work for someone--but I'd suggest trying something else first.

Keeping in mind that "anything can work for someone" idea, you'll see suggestions for C or C++. That's not exactly wrong, but I don't recommend either of them. The number of lines of code you need to write to get anything done can be daunting in C or in "beginners C++", and the comparative lack of validity checking can make simple coding errors hard to find.

There are also languages like Scratch and Alice that are designed specifically for teaching new programmers. I think these work better in a classroom than for self-study, since setting up a learning environment and finding good tutorials can be challenging.

Python is often recommended for beginners.

Or, if you want to code for the web, you could learn Javascript and HTML.

Choosing a language completely depends on what do you want to do, what you want to build and what are your interests

Here are some beginners friendly programming languages below:

- JavaScript

- Ruby

- Python

- PHP

- Java

- C

- C++

- SQL

• husoski

C and C++ are not particularly "beginner friendly". An error in indexing an array or vector with [] can silently appear to succeed, or barf up a segfault error in some unrelated bit of code. And there's not much a beginner can do with PHP.

Start with "An Hour of Code" and then proceed to the Scratch language.

https://hourofcode.com/us/learn

Assembler, BASIC, C++, Pascal, Python, Fortran, COBOL, Lisp, MATLAB, Java and Erlang are all usual common ones.

C++, Python, etc.