Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 6 months ago

Why do so many homeless people in NYC have dogs?

Is this a ploy for sympathy and more donations?

It might be for protection/defense.

Being homeless is lonely. To add to that, it's dangerous. A dog to back you up if you're attacked is a great asset, especially if you're asleep.

Mental disease may also play a part, as they may have an easier time identifying with a dog than another person.

But I also suspect a few only adopt them to elicit sympathy while they're begging, as I was saw a guy intentionally 'posing' his dogs by having them hug each other while they were sleeping, while asking for money to keep them fed.

It is to make it harder to arrest them if they commit a crime. The arresting officer will have to arrange for animal protection to house the dog while the owner is in jail, and that is a lot of trouble. .

• Teva

Probably for companionship and protection. I hope people have more sympathy for you if you ever end up in a similar situation.