Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 10 months ago

Is it possible to have a Wi-Fi router that you can take wherever you go? Where do you get one?

Best Buy?? And, I need it to be a small carry size.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi. Yes, the term is "Mobile hotspot" & they're available from most companies like Sprint, TMobile, Verizon, Net10, etc..

Do a simple serarch for "Buy mobile hotspot" on any search engine.

G'Luck!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lv 7
    10 months ago

you can take any router wherever you go. you just need to set it up with whatever internet connection you use.

keep in mind, your internet signal does not travel with the router. you need to have an available internet signal in the area to utilize it, with or without a router.

most places that have internet available usually offer their own wifi connection.

• 10 months ago

it is possible just cost a few hundred bucks

• 10 months ago

I have a Toshiba Canvio AeroCast 1TB Wireless Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0.

This has an internal battery that will run the drive for around 5 hours. It can be used as a normal external USB 3.0 drive powered (and charged) through the USB connection, or, when running on its battery, it can be accessed by WiFi as another client on an existing WiFi network. However, it can also provide a WiFi hotspot to which clients can connect directly. In this mode, the drive can attach to an existing WiFi network and then support a number of devices on its hotspot, in much the same way as a Windows 10 laptop can connect to a WiFi network and then provide a hotspot for other devices to connect to.

When my drive has its hotspot enabled, it is a battery powered WiFi router with an integrated disk drive. At 8.6 x 12.4 x 2 cm it is around the size of a 3.5" disk drive, so it is rather larger than a normal external portable disk drive, but in addition to its battery and routing function it also has an SD card slot, which will automatically back up photos, etc from an SD card used by a digital camera.

So, the answer to the question is YES. I have one made by Toshiba that also has 1 TB of on board storage.

• 10 months agoReport

Thanks for the response. I considered it and decided to go with the hotspot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

It is not clear what you need such a device for.

See the other answers describing mobile hotspots'

Otherwise "travel routers" are available;

https://www.lifewire.com/top-travel-wireless-route...

Regards, Bob UK.

• ?
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Your router is used to connect your phone/cable line to your computer(s), pinter(s), etc. It provides the login to your ISP as well as address translation and (usually) WiFi capability. There is a setting inside it to enable the login to your ISP.

However, you also need a phone/cable line with internet capabilities and connected to the same phone/cable company wherever you try to use it.

You can buy WiFi access points that will connect on the computer side of any router and create a WiFi network for you. However, anywhere that you could plug in your own router (a hotel for example) would almost certainly have access to its own WiFi network that you could join.

There are also dozens of WiFi access points available to the public all over the place, so you don't need your own router to connect a laptop, tablet or phone.

• 10 months ago

Yea i take my router everywhere its so good

• 10 months ago

It's called having mobile data

• 10 months ago

It may be possible to use your phone as an access point.

• 10 months agoReport

Don’t have one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.