Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 9 months ago

would you paint dark wood trims white?

We have just purchased 140 year old house which has dark walnut trims, doors and fire place. It looks beautiful but outdated. Would anybody recommend painting them white for more updated look?

hell no !!! you obviously have no idea of the amount of time, energy, & $ it takes to remove. would you "update" a classic pink cadillac with a can of white paint & a brush ???

• Earleen

Amen !!

you will make a mess out of it

Please don't. Walnut is such a beautiful and strong wood. I bet the detail of the carving is intricate. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to carve that.

if you want up to date current decorating,have at it,eggshell white,,or white coffee,this color sets off dark wood finishes magnificently,,IE paint walls w the choices above,,leave the natural finished wood as it,or,sand the wood lightly,and apply poly urethane

A 140 year old house probably has hand carved decorative trim made from real wood. No veneer or laminate finish. If it has survived this long, it would be a shame to destroy it.

You will get more value out of the house by restoring it instead of replacing it.

No, don't do it. Your house is one of the few that have survived the paint brush massacre!

You have a 140 year old house....paint will not update it, it will destroy it's unique character. Instead, paint the walls a nice neutral color and impose your style in the way of furnishing and accessories. No need to even match the furniture wood tones to the woodwork.

Think of painting your rooms in shades of white. This is not to say paint your walls white. Shades of white, for example, would be like taking a gallon of white paint and adding a cup of blue paint. That will give you a blue hue to the paint and would work great if you are decorating in blues. Same with all other colors...except red, because you will get pink undertones.

You may want to paint your ceilings with a color like Benjamin Moore's Vanilla Ice Cream if you do not paint them a bright white. Older homes typically have low ceilings, so bright white may be a good choice.

Give your woodwork a good cleaning and maybe even it could use a coat of satin finish polyurethane. But, painting...nope, no way. Please don't.

I understand your desire to update, I do. I considered painting my stained woodwork ten years ago and I am so grateful I did not do it. Once you paint woodwork, there is no turning back.

But, if you do decide to paint, you will need to sand it all down, paint with a good stain blocking primer and then paint with your wood trim paint color, preferably in a satin sheen. If you absolutely must.

If you have a well built 140 year old house I would celebrate its features and not cover them up.

No. It is more expensive, but you really should look at sanding and re-staining the walnut rather than painting it. Lighter walls and furniture will make the rooms feel lighter. Paint won't make a 110+ year old house look updated.

You stain walnut. It beautiful wood that deserves to show it's grain. You only paint over cheap pine trim.

You want everyday trailer trash stuff?Go for it. I won't do it.My house 50yo It is the Euro look.

Your house style is still 140 year old.

You style it your way as it is your house.

40+ year painter/finisher.