Carlos
Carlos asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 9 months ago

If you live in an Arctic / Antarctic climate ( town , city ) when coming from winter to late spring or early autumn does 48 F feel warm ?

Does temperatures as 38 F - 50 F feel very warm when its late spring to early autumn if you live or coming from Omyakon , Russia , Barrow , Alaska , Northern Norway , Sweden , Finland , South Pole Antarctica ....

Do you wear semi - summer clothes in those places

Nobody lives in the Antarctic, there are no cities or towns there. There are research stations and bases, where expeditioner’s stay temporarily for periods of a few months to 2 years. Although 1 year is usually more the case for “winterers”.

I was lucky enough to spend an extended summer at the Australian Davis station, in 2003/4. 48F (8.8c) is not a temp you see at Davis very often, as I recall we only had one day in Feb when it got that warm, this was also a clear blue sky and no wind day. We actually had a beach party outside with people getting around in shorts and board shirts. At lower more usual summer temps of 2-4c, again if there’s no wind, people often get around the base in normal street cloths. In part because the air is so dry, cooler temps like 2-4c can seem much warmer than places with higher moisture content in the air.

48F IS warm. That's 9C, for God's sake! What are you? Some sort of a wimp?

Feels warm, but you don't go around in shorts (unless you're around 14 y.o.). You take off a couple coats and a sweater.

• it is i

-40 with 60+ mph winds? I'm not saying parka's, but light jackets for wearing around the house. I keep my house around 5-8C in the winter.

wrong forum ....

To a large extent, yes. When I lived in New Orleans, having come from NY, I would get odd looks from the natives when I was in shirtsleeves and they were wearing overcoats. Now, living in VA, I have to adjust the thermostat upward for a visitor from AZ.