Why do all the good stretches of land always get turned into manmade areas or become marked as private property?

I basically find it depressing when beautiful stretches of land you could once just freely roam through without any restrictions or barriers either undergo construction to make the way for houses or anything manmade, or become marked as private property or something like that. It just makes me think what kind of person has to be so miserable to want to destroy the romanticism of being out in nature completely free and happy or even one with the earth itself; I know I sound like a complete hippie right now, but I really do think there are enough places to build new houses or whatever the heck else on. There is a beautiful field near where I live and unfortunately it's too late to take my boyfriend there for a romantic dance under the moonlight together as it is currently undergoing construction.

• DIEGO.

good question!!

I should have known, a star struck kid asking this question. When you grow up, you will find this out for yourself. I used to wander through miles of woods as a kid exploring and enjoying the adventure of it. Thought I should let other people do the same on my land when I got it. What did people do? They cut down trees for Christmas and for firewood and rode their 4-wheelers and trucks around my woods roads and fields killing my blue berry bushes and making everything into a big mud hole. I put up no trespassing signs, but they were torn down so I threw hunks of metal in the holes they had formed and tore their $1000 tires to shreds. When they had to abandon their vehicles, I shot them full of holes, set them on fire and hauled them out with my tractor so as to be a warning to others. YOU might be ok, but most people have NO respect for people who own land and pay taxes on that land.

• oikoσ

It reminds me of a Larson cartoon of a housing development called "Thousand Oaks", shoring houses being built amid a bunch of large tree-stumps. Unfortunately, the things that make a patch of ground attractive to you also make it attractive to potential home-owners. Alas, many of those home-owners then cut down the trees because they "spoil the view".

Because people like you routinely trash such places.

Beautiful places you can just roman around inevitably draw tourists, who **** things up.