Im needing to know if this is considered copyright,and if it is can you share some ideas on how to get around this.?

How can i sell clothing with cartoon/anime references, example if i make a shirt with a looking mario world would this be copyright? Or some shorts with a dragon and the letters K.O. Kinda mimicking mortal kombat. I wont use any of the characters but when you see my clothing it will make you think of a certain game or cartoon.

You are treading in a very gray area.

Unless you get permission from the owners of the specific characters, if you go ahead and produce them, then the companies will send you a cease and desist letter if they object.

At that point, you will have to get a lawyer to prove why you are not infringing on their copyrights and trademarks. Depending on how different your items are ,they may be considered 'a fan thing' and you will be allowed to continue to produce...and the people who sued you would have to pay your court costs.

On the other hand...if your stuff is too similar you would have to close and give the companies all of the profit you earned doing it.

• Nuff Sed

They do not have to "allow" you to continue to sell "fan art" if the works are "derivative works" or infringe the trademarks of the characters. Your lawyer may be quite busy and expensive.

Consult a lawyer for G*d's sake. NOBODY here can give you legal advice and that is what you are asking for.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Expect to get sued. Quickly, and by everyone whose copyright you will have deemed to have infringed. Copyright infringement need not be an exact copy: all that is required is that it makes the person think of the product that owns the copyright, which you have stated is your goal. Either pay the licensing fees or make your own designs. Anything else is stealing, and you'll be stopped, with expenses.

• Nuff Sed

You seem to be describing "trademark infringement". Copyright infringement is a bit different, although it also does not require "exact copy", but rather "derivative work".

I really like my neighbor's car. I'd like to have it for my own, but it's his. How can I get around this?

• Nuff Sed

And yet there are millions of people who rip off copyrighted works and think they're "legal" because they include a disclaimer like, "I stole this from someone else, so I don't own it, but you are free to use it any way you like."