How can you prevent someone from stealing gas from your car?

If I install a locking gas cap, they just punch a hole in the fuel line. The vehicle has to stay in a parking lot with no surveillance overnight.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Do not fill the tank, just keep a can of gas in the trunk in case you can not get to the station in the morning.

• 3 months ago

Consider installing a locking gas cap, even if your fuel door locks. such as someone putting a siphon into a gas tank or acting strangely around parked cars.

• 3 months ago

Use a locking gas cap

• If you don't use this car a lot, then don't fill-up too much. use a spare gas-tank keep in your garage, transfer only half spare-gas-tank to your car.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

Okay, make your car look weird or unexpected. The three times I've been broken into, I had just freshly cleaned out the car, and even vacuumed the carpets. As long as it looks messy and weird thieves seem to leave non-standard stuff alone. I don't know this to be a rule, but it seems to be a persistent coincidence. So, try something imaginative like build a fort out of cinder blocks around the back end of the van, and attach a wire leading back up to the business. Place a strong LED spot, cliplight illuminating the whole shebang. Stick a metal plate on the gas cap mad max style. Maybe they'll wonder if it's booby trapped. In short; create uncertainty.

• 3 months ago

Put a locking cap on the tank, and wrap your fuel line with razor wire (carefully).

• 3 months ago

They eventually get caught but until then it is an uphill battle.

• 3 months ago

Don't leave a lot of gas in the tank.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Move out of the crime infested neighborhood.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

You can't stop from trying. Even if you leave the car with no gas in it, they will likely still break a fuel line since they won't know.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.