Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsOther - News & Events · 9 months ago

So were we fine or not fine in the 70's before we joined the EU?

conservatives had to plead and beg on knees to EU for membership

70's:

a family could live comfortably from fathers income

income to mortgage ratio was 3.5x, it was far easier to buy a home

mothers stayed at home nurturing the family

councils had social housing stock

jimmy savile was loved by conservatives and police

We didn't join the EU in the '70s - we joined the Common Market and that was because even if we were doing OK (not so much - we left the country in 1974 for a better job when there was a wages freeze going on), it was felt there should have been advantages in joining a Common Market with Europe.

In my opinion it should have been left at that. Morphing into the EU with us onboard - big mistake.

Fine, but some things could have been better.

• Lôn

Yes, we were...... then we joined the EEC...a good idea...but the EEC morphed into the EU...not a good idea.

We didn't join the EU in the 1970s. It didn't exist.

What we joined was the Common Market (the EEC), which is quite a different thing, and not without its controversies of butter mountains and wine lakes. The 1975 referendum to stay in the EC (as it had become by then) with just nine member states found two thirds in favour of continued membership. There was no mandate for changing to the set-up we see today.

In those days few people could afford to travel to the next town, let alone Europe, and if they did they could only take £50 with them. That said, the UK was in better shape than many European countries at the time despite the rapid decline of its traditional industries.

• Biff

UK citizens would have been free to swim in seawater with turds bobbing around them had the UK not joined the EU, which introduced the Bathing Water Directive in 1976 to force water companies to introduce treatment for sewage prior to discharge to sea. I once had that unpleasant experience. That was one of many Directives introduced by the EU to protect the environment. Others have, for example, imposed limits on fine particulates and oxides of nitrogen, and controls over emissions of those pollutants from vehicles, to protect people's health lives.

I was a kid in the early 70s, but I remember power cuts and bread shortages and 3 day working weeks. That was a trade union thing more than a trade thing, but I remember what you could buy in the shops was very limited, now we have foods and goods from all over Europe that weren't even dreamed of back then.

I also remember camping trips to Spain and the huge queues at the border, both in Dover and on the Pyrenean divide between France and Spain. The last time I drove over into Spain you just waved your passport at a border guard almost without slowing down.

• Verulam 1

I remember those times too - but driving round Germany and Austria more recently, the border check-points were all closed. There were no border guards even.