Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 months ago

Should I delete my friend with depression from my life, she makes zero effort to stay in touch.. it’s all me..? Im sick of trying?

And having texts ignored.

Have not heard from her in 4 1/2 months

What has our technology saturated culture come to when we talk about “deleting” people from our lives as if they’re an old email? Anyway, there’d are very few people who are going to stay with depressed people and be loyal to them. I know that from my own life. Most people will abandon you when you’re depressed because they don’t wanna be around that. So go ahead. Nobody’s going to judge you for it because a lot of people would do the same thing. I have a narcissistic sister two years older than me who said that she didn’t want me to “bring her down”. She’s my own family. So like I said, it happens all the time. Even your own family members will abandon you if you have those issues. Remember that Saturday Night Live skit with “Debbie Downer”? Well, that’s kind of how it works in real life also

You can’t delete people of your life, if she someday do an effort be polite and talk to her the same way. Don’t worry, some people can change their ideas one day to another, she may have a problem as well. Be patient, if you both didn’t fight, it may be only something in her interior, but if there is an issue talk to her, if she doesn’t want to talk you shouldn’t insist. You may think that she has a problem, so would be a good idea to go to her house. She maybe needs time or wants to be alone as well,in this case give her space. My father experienced the same with a friend he helped when he got very sick, then he doesn’t know why his friend didn’t give thanks, it doesn’t mean that he is deleted of his life. People in life go and come, you can continue make more friends if she doesn’t talk to you, people won’t react as we expect. If she is showing interest in talk to you again someday, be good to her, if she is rude, take distance but never say a insult and say what you think politely.

• Jenny9 months agoReport

Don’t worry, only take care of her when you can, if you see something weird inform to someone of confidence, like her parents or teachers, but also give her space and privacy if she wants that

• GEEGEE

If you take a step back and stop making all the effort, she may be inclined to move forward and contact you.

Why not ask her and see why she doesn’t bother getting in touch with you

• patty

be nice. She is depressed so she may not be a bundle of joy all the time. u could check in on her form time to time.

She has depression. She is ill with an insidious, debilitating disease. If you are a friend never give up on her and always make the effort of reaching out, if for nothing else just to say hello I'm thinking of you. If you are a self centered creep be sick of trying and dump a friend in need. What are you ? Have you no empathy ? You should hope you never get really sick cause karma is a *****..

• 9 months agoReport

He doesn’t have any empathy he hasn’t even replied to anyone so that just proves that he is not bothered about what could of happened to her .

Wow you tried that long to be her friend with no response? You are a freaking legend. I would of given up after the first or second time of being ignored.

Drop her move on

• That was normal for the friendships I've had. I did avoid building anything with a lot of types of people tbf. Built more with troubled introverts or similar.

Maybe you two have different preferences for relationships in general.

If you're an extrovert, maybe find more high maintenance patterns that aren't too displeasing for her. If she accepts to start a hobby of some sort with you, maybe find a weekly thing to do with her. Maybe on the pretense that it'd help both of you (like a sport of whatever). You could propose to go eat periodically. Otherwise silent chilling and such can help usually, the least engaging you can tolerate could be plenty for her. Maybe there are games you two could play.

Low maintenance and high maintenance people shouldn't really get together too much imo, unless the compromises halfway are alright.

It's not an issue I'd get myself tbh. If none of those things work for either of you and you feel that way about her, then I guess you two aren't meant to be friends.

If it's been that long since you have heard from her, I would say it's safe to delete her.