M asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 2 months ago

Can I just write "return to sender" on the unopened envelopes my address has been receiving and then put it in the outgoing mail?

Letters from various companies and institutions for the previous occupants of my apartment has been coming into my mailbox. I want them to stop sending letters.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Walt
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Best answer

yes I do that all the time or just go to the post office and put a hold on that persons mail

• Who
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

personally I wouldnt

If there is a return address on the envelope I would put it in another envelope addressed there, AND include a note stating that the addressee has NOT lived at that address since at least (put the date you moved in or the date you KNOW they left)

If there WASNT a return address i would open the letter (this is NOT illegal) to get the return address from whats inside

and do the same - ADDING that the letter was opened to get the return address

(just putting return to sender COULD be that the sender might think whoever they sent the letter to DOES live there and is trying to avoid them)

• Eva
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Put "no longer at this address" on the envelopes.

• 2 months ago

Yes, you can write that and put them in the outgoing mail, but they might not stop sending the letters.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

i would and also tell the post office or your mailman whats going on so they can stop it

• enn
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes, yes you can. If they are for sure advertising letters, and the person has not lived at this address for many years, you can write a letter to the sending company and tell them it is time to delete this address from their computer as you are the current resident with no ties to their company. They should honor your request and delete the former addressee. if they still send you advertising to the former resident not you, open up the mail, get the postage-paid return envelope, and at their expense start demanding they delete this address. And then, if they don't respect this, cut out the entire top of the "postage paid by addressee" , glue it to a big envelope, put into the envelope even more paper advertising you did not solicit, and send them junk mail paid for by them. Eventually someone should get the message and delete the old address. Good luck.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

'not at this address' might be more effective

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can for first class, not for bulk mailing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, but put UNKNOWN too.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's what I do, but I also write "Not known at this address" and if it's the same company repetitively posting, I write "please remove from mailing list". Sometimes I even call poster if their name is on the envelope.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.