Why were cars so long in the 60s-70s?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Geo
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Best answer

It was a Marketing Ploy, Longer, Wider was thought to be better. Gas was cheap and carmakers told the public they wanted bigger. Every 3-4 Years a new car, bigger and styled differently. They invented Keeping up with the Jones'.

• 2 months ago

Cuz our automotive world was so much better at making awesome cars that people could enjoy with sexy styling and power, speed, luxury and appeal.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not all were, of course. But the big Cads, 1959-'69. more like a Sedan de Yacht. They competed with the Imperial and Town Car for most luxury. And, luxury meant for long wheelbase. lots of steel to absorb bumps. After all, how can a '74 Pinto be "luxury car"?

• 2 months ago

crazy car designers

oh yes

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Because they wanted to be.

• amelia2 months agoReport

I literally said the same thing lmao

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Only in USA. In Europe metal was scarce and so was fuel, so we had the Mini and Fiat 500 and before that bubble cars.

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Stupid "question" -- cars and trucks are far bigger now than in the past.

1965 Mustang, 182" long.

1975 Mustang, 175" long.

2019 Mustang, 188" long.

---

I had a new 1972 Ford Pinto, 163" long. Smallest 2018 Ford sedan Focus is 172" long.

I had a new 1977 GMC K2500 -- 212" long, 185 hp, 300 torque. The 2019 GMC 2500 is 230" long, 360hp, 380 torque

• Bailey2 months agoReport

The new mustang is not long. No modern car is that long unless it's a limousine.

• 2 months ago

Bigger trunks, bigger engines, and the best crash zones for their time.

• 2 months ago

Because after the war USA had all the oil he wanted and he made ridiculously big cars. That's the reason of their crash.

• 2 months ago

Because they wanted to be

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.