My USB SD card reader does not work, windows says " J:\ is not accessible" why is this ?

I tried inserting 4 different SD cards into the USB card reader. None of them work. I put the cards into two different cameras. both cameras read them.... So cards are working fine. I plugged in two different USB sticks into the computer and both are working fine .....

SO when I plug the USB card reader and insert a SD card windows keep saying need to format the sd card when I say okay format the card. Windows saying failed to format and " J:\ is not accessible" message comes up.... Could this be due to a faulty USB SD card reader ? I can not think why this would happen otherwise ? Windows did do an update but USB Card reader was working after that for like 2 hours

file format Fat32... exFat32... NTFS none seem to be working

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Best answer

Sounds to me like your "USB card reader" is not properly connected to your computer. Perhaps you need proper drivers for your OS. Search the manufacturers website of your USB card reader for the drivers that correlate to your operating system!

• 2 months ago

Hi. The most obvious solution is the accurate one.

The camera formatted the cards & has locked them out from other devices.

Use as brand new SD card. The camera owns those cards now.

Otherwise, try using a linux formatting tool to recover the cards, then repartition & reformat them.

G'Luck!!!

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is futile to fight it. The card reader is toast. Buy a new one. Better yet, make it two, different kinds, just to be sure.

• Norm F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As you mention identifier "J" i assume you are using a USB multi reader.

Firstly it may be faulty or if old may only be able to read SD as against SDHC or SDXC

SDHC or TF up to 32 GB SDXC up to 2TB.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Leave the card in the camera. Connect the camera directly through any USB port, camera on.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

try a different usb socket , also run the device management console and go to the USB tag and watch what happens when you plug the reader in , some readers are recognized as other devices , if it is uninstall it and re-install it

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Buy or borrow a replacement usb card reader and find out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.