teresa asked in PetsReptiles · 9 months ago

Help! Toad habitat seems too cold. How to hang heat emitter higher than top of tank?

I’m trying to warm up my gulf coast toad habitat. It’s too shallow just to sit the heat emitter right on top or else it would be too hot. I just want to make it a little bit warmer. Everything inside is pretty wet so that’s why it feels too cold. I had just made the eco-earth and moss before I set up the enclosure. So i want a diy-cheap way to fix up the lamp. I don’t want to buy an expensive lamp stand. I don’t think I have enough room for that either. The container is a clear plastic storage container that’s about more than 1 foot by 2 feet. Might be less than a foot tall. 2 adult gulf coast toads, substrate is eco-earth mixed with cypress forest floor, with patches of moss on top. 1 foil cake pan for the water dish. 2 hides, deep soil and some decorative river rocks and fake aquarium plants.

Toads usually don't like heat

• O Man

Buy at thermostat to control the temperature of your heating device, and set it to the desired temperature. All heaters should be attached to a thermostat to a thermostat to prevent overrheating

• df

Try an under tank heater. Get a seedling heater from amazon for a third of the price of the ones at pet stores

• teresa9 months agoReport

...Because it’s so big as far as floor space just not height, they can choose where to sit. It’s definitely not gonna heat up the entire habitat with all that moisture. The lamp doesn’t seem too strong so far.

Toads are cold blooded, what may seem cold to you, your toad is right at home with.

No heat needed unless below freezing.

Something around 60 degrees is fine for these, not over 80.

https://www.herpsoftexas.org/content/gulf-coast-to...

http://www.frogforum.net/content.php/125-Toad-Basi...

• teresa9 months agoReport

Well yeah not HOT, just a few degrees warmer. I want it to at least be 75-76 in there. It just feels really chilly in this room a lot. Well cold blooded just means they can’t produce their own heat. Doesn’t mean being cold is their favorite. But omggg thank you for the links!! Helps so much

• PR

There are lizard heaters that go directly in the enclosure. Not sure about them getting wet, though. Or, put something underneath that emits heat.

Can you get a lower wattage bulb?

Google the habitat requirements