Can a child legally give away his bicycle to another child or could that still be reported as theft by the parents or grandparents?

It's an old case from many years ago. My stepson (age 9 at the time) came home from a friend's house with a bicycle that wasn't his. His friend owned the bicycle for 4 years but never could learn how to ride a bike so he gave it away. Months later his grandfather reported it stolen so cops came to my... show more It's an old case from many years ago. My stepson (age 9 at the time) came home from a friend's house with a bicycle that wasn't his. His friend owned the bicycle for 4 years but never could learn how to ride a bike so he gave it away. Months later his grandfather reported it stolen so cops came to my house. I told them the story. The bicycle in question was in pieces. My stepson used it as spare bicycle parts. I never heard from the cops again. So the issue was settled I guess. But is it legal for a kid to give away a bike to another kid?