How do I start a play?

I was thinking about directing a play but I don’t know where to start. Can I call up a theatre and ask to rent their space? Or do I have to work there to direct? I feel like that’s where my biggest block is because if I can get past that than everything should (hopefully) flow naturally. My biggest question is how do I book a venue to perform my play at?? Thank you!

The Director needs to be the most experienced of all the production team. You don't lead a production by yourself, its a team made up of experts in acting, music, dance, visual arts and lighting and costume. With no experience you will lose money before you start. Hire a rehearsal space before casting is money down the drain. Hire a theatre before you've planned a production schedule is going to bankrupt your parents. Find a local amateur company with a history and longevity of performances and volunteer. If you have any practical skills, painting, sound techniques or lighting then stage management is the way forward.

• John P

Get some experience about the whole business of getting a play on stage by joining a local drama club ("community theatre" in USA). That will show you some of the things necessary. Only when you have those notions in mind should you think of hiring a theatre - but cheaper would be a village hall with some basic stage facilities. Apart from actors and the director (presumably yourself) you will need lots of willing helpers, for costumes, make-up, lighting, sound and many other matters.

You will also need a cheap rehearsal space for several days before the final rehearsals in the theatre or community hall etc.

Theatres cost at least many hundreds, more likely thousands of pounds/dollars a week to hire.

Show up at a favorite theatre or venue and talk to people. Just get to know them. That's the best start. And good luck.

"I was thinking about directing a play but I don’t know where to start."

Do you think you could possibly re-phrase this to be even VAGUER about what you actually want to do?

• Cogito

I don't really understand what you want to do.

Have you written a play and want it to be performed somewhere?

If so - you wouldn't direct it yourself and would need to show it to a local community theatre (or enter it in a small regional new playwrights' competition) and see of anyone was impressed enough to consider producing it. But they'd decide on the director, the actors, etc. and you'd have no more input.

If you mean you just want to try directing, that's normally started by joining a community theatre as an actor, and after a few years, having proved that you know what you're doing, you'd ask to be an assistant director to an experienced person, who could teach you what to do.

This isn't how it works, usually. You write a play and seek an existing theater, with an experienced director, to perform it. You don't write a play, then direct it, since you're a playwright, not a director.

So what you want to do it seek right-sized theatrical groups and attempt to get them to perform your play.

i would call a theatre and ask them about it

If you have no experience directing and no wads of cash, you may be sol. No legit actor is going to want to work with a greenhorn. Especially if you wrote the play and it is a big dud.