How do you deal with missing your kids at college?

My youngest daughter moved 6 hours away to college last month. I did ok for the first few weeks but I'm really starting to miss her. My two older sons go to college about an hour away from home and I get to see them every other weekend or so. And if I REALLY want to see them I can get in the car and go to them. My life is great otherwise, happy marriage, good job, great friends. It's not that I don't have a life. I just miss my daughter. I swore I wouldn't be sad about this. There are such bigger problems to have than my daughter off at a great college (on scholarship) and doing exceedingly well there. But I can't help it, I miss her.

• Jr
    1 year ago

I’m not sure if it helps but my mom would tell me something similar when I went away from college. I guess you guys could catch up on the phone every once in a while, or you guys could FaceTime. You guys could also make plans to meet up (maybe during the weekend) and you guys could go out to eat together or something fancy along those lines.

I’m pretty sure she misses you just as much as you miss her, hun :)

• 1 year ago

go visit her if you miss her

• Tepee
    1 year ago

It's OK to miss them but you can't allow it to consume you. You know she will have to leave home sometime so accept it and go about your normal routine knowing she will be home to visit again soon.

• 1 year ago

I know- empty nest syndrome. It's tough. You plan for when she's home on breaks. And if you're luck, she'll move back near you after college. My daughter went 2,000 mile away for college. But then she came back and now lives a couple of blocks from me. The separation was tough, but it was worth it. Kids become more independent by being far enough away from home not to be able to bring their laundry home on the weekends!

• 1 year ago

yes, i miss mine. But we are planning a trip together