Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 9 months ago

how much would it cost my aunt and uncle to adopt me?

i live with my great aunt and uncle (grandma’s sister) and i have for the last fourteen years. i’m seventeen, and my birthday is in july, if that helps. my mom is mentally unstable and living with my grandmother,, both on ssi. i do not want to be my mother’s child anymore and i would like for my aunt and uncle to adopt me.

• Kelly

For you to be adopted, you have to be "free and clear" for adoption, meaning your parents either need to willingly sign TPR (termination of parental rights) or the state would need to remove them, involuntarily. This requires both of your parents rights to be terminated, not just mom's.

Due to legalities at 17, it may be easier just to wait until you are 18 and can consent to your own adoption. Yes, you can be adopted as an adult.

I adopted from foster care myself (twice). The only fees I paid was to have a new birth certificate issued, which was about $200 (each).

My parents adopted my mom's sister when she turned 18 years old, because they wanted it to be her idea & decision. She was an orphan at 12, her dad (my mom's step dad) died when she was 5 and my grandma died when she was 12. After my grandma died, my parents finished raising her.. but she was with us most of the time anyway before that. By that age she understood adoption and what it would change for her. So on any given day I might refer to her as either my aunt or sister since she's essentially both.

• Kelly

At your age the process will be quicker (and easier) if you wait until you are 18 years old.

Forget it. You will be 18 in less than a year

Your parents would have to agree & with you being almost 18 there is really no reason for the cost (expensive) that is involved.

• Kelly

The only costs would be court costs and a new birth certificate.. maybe around $200.

• Tulip

Doesn't sound like you are even available for adoption

If they have legal custody of you then it's likely they will just have to pay court fees. They need to talk to a lawyer and find out the laws of your state. If they are court-appointed tempory guardians then it may be a long process and cost more.

Source(s): family & friends are foster parents and some have adopted from foster care
    • reilynn9 months agoReport

i believe all they have is medical POA. my mom is clinically psychotic (actually diagnosed with severe psychosis) and doesn’t have the means to care for me anyway. sigh, this is all so confusing.

We'll just guess what country's laws your asking about shall we

• reilynn9 months agoReport

oops! the us!