I live in the UK. Bought something from France but they are not charging me VAT. Will I have to pay it here in the UK?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Cei
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

For EU-based companies, VAT is chargeable on most sales and purchases if the goods are sent to another EU country. So the French company should have charged you VAT (It's called TVA there)

The fact that you weren't shown VAT separately means one of two things:

1. The VAT was included in the sales price and not separated out. If the value is below a certain amount (I forget what) it does not have to be shown separately

2. The company you bought from may not be VAT registered so can't charge VAT.

Either way it's not your problem.

Once the UK leaves Europe it'll get a whole lot more complicated.

Source(s): Ex VAT officer
  • 2 months ago

Probably yes, you should pay it in the UK. You may contact the Government, explain the situation and find out if it's indeed necessary to pay VAT.

• 2 months ago

Did you buy it mail order? If you did, the firm in France will not be able to claim VAT exemption for something sent to the UK. You won't have to pay VAT, they will. The "no VAT" was probably just a sales gimmick.

If you bought it while you were in France, they should have charged you VAT. If they put it through as an export sale, their tax man will catch up with them eventually, but you won't have to pay VAT on it.

Once we leave the EU, everything changes. If you buy mail order, you have to pay VAT and import duties and that's normally collected by the carrier (Royal Mail, DHL etc). If you buy in person and it doesn't come within the customs allowances, you need to go through the red channel when you return to the UK and they'll charge VAT and import duty (assuming they can be bothered).

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sales taxes apply in the country where the sale taxes place. You wouldnt pay a uk sales tax for an item purchased in france

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.