luca asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 9 months ago

I just bought this 50 feet hdmi cable... but it doesnt seem work?

I know how to use a hdmi cable... its a simple plug and play no installation.

About 5 hours ago I was using a simple 2 feet hdmi cable for my pc to tv, and it was working fine, then I changed my setup (where the computer is placed, further away from the tv) and decided to use walmarts 50 ft long hdmi cable. The TV recognizes it in terms of the slot is selectable but my computer clearly isnt on showing extended screen..

Im about to go back to walmart and replace this tomorrow, but I wanna know if basically a waste of time or not.. I hope to get an answer here, as it will help on the decision of whether replace or return...

if cleaning the teensyweensy plug pins does not produce a decent signal, get a new cable,making the shortest distance possible it has to reach,

method to clean the pins,,get a couple pointed toothpicks,a capful of alcohol,sip the toothpicks in it,pass through the cable socket,clean with a bit of pressure,some of the things break off quickly,just flick the piece out use another one,if the tips show black,that means dirt was cleaned off, repeat,let the plug dry out,,the hole in the devices that the cable joins,,clean those sockets too,

The cable is too long unless it has a built-in booster (which it most probably does not).

Even 35 feet is a bit much.

Get a better grade of cable,

and if you really need one that long,

you should also invest in a separate HDMI booster.

• P

It's unlikely there's anything wrong with the cable itself. It's more likely the devices\resolution you are using simply can't support a copper 50ft HDMI cable. While you could try a higher quality HDMI copper cable you may have to buy a "Fiber" HDMI cable such as the one linked below, which work well over great distances, but are very expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-4K60HZ-HDMI2-0b-Supp...

If you really need a 50 foot cable and the Walmart ones do not work you might try a better cable from Amazon or whatever. There are also HDMI boosted cables for long runs.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Wall-High-Speed-...

Try the TV's other HDMI inputs first.

In computer networking, the network's signal has to be retimed at particular points over very long cable runs.

You do know that there are many versions of hdmi. If you’re trying to stream 4K from your laptop to your tv, are you using the hdmi that’s made for 4K. A

50 feet is the maximum recommended length for an HDMI cable. It is right at the edge of what works and what doesn't.

I'd try exchanging it, just in case there was something wrong with it (which is certainly possible!) But if the replacement didn't work any better, I'd give it up and try something else.