Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

If the mum of a child is dead and the father is in prison for domestic violence and drug trafficking, can the child be adopted by relatives?

8 Answers

  • 6 days ago

    An ex parte order can be granted and the court can hold a hearing. The Father will have to relinquish rights in order for the child to be completely adopted.  There is a process.

  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Not necessarily, being in prison doesn't automatically mean you lose parental rights. The only time it really happens automatically is if the victims of the crimes are the kids. I do foster care and a lot of my foster kids have parents in prison who don't lose parental rights.

    Adoption for kids who've lost a parent is generally not the best route for them in most cases, legal guardianship is.

    Kids' who have lost a parent have lost enough and adoption takes away that legal connection to them. When you're adopted a new amended birth certificate, it removes the biological parents names and replaces them with the adoptive parents names.. like their parent never existed in the legal aspect. When they get married, apply for a passport and things like that it asks for your parents names, at that point you have to put down your adoptive parents names, not your biological ones ... it may not sound like much to you, but it does to an adoptee or a child who lost their parent.

    Before anyone could adopt them though, they need to be free and clear for adoption meaning their fathers parental rights are terminated, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

  • 2 months ago


    In general, if a parent is deceased, legal guardianship is a better option than adoption because adoption erases the child's original parents off the child's birth certificate.

    Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.
  • 2 months ago

    UK No but the relatives can apply for legal guardianship

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    i think thats possible

  • 2 months ago

    If the relatives qualify. That would be an excellent question for the social worker handling the case.

  • 2 months ago

    Probably. Consult with a lawyer for a more definite answer

  • 2 months ago

    should be ................................................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.