How can I avoid encountering bears when moving (walking/camping) through an area with bears?

It's brown bear, in a foresty area, about 3 days walk.

• Ranger

Put small bells on your gear so you jingle when you walk Brown and Black Bears will hear you and scatter long before you get to them.

Grizzlies will think you are ringing the dinner bell.

Yes it is a good idea to avoid bears.

Smear bacon grease all over yourself and be as quiet and sneaky as possible, occasionally bleating like a wounded lamb.

Arimatthewdavies gives you sound advice.

You are not entering the woods. You are entering the 'food chain'. So long as you fully understand your constutional rights no longer count anymore, you maintain situational awareness of where you are and what is around you, and you bring a means to defend yourself - and actually have it fricken handy ….. you should be ok.

There is a video produced by a west coast Canadian hunting club called 'Take a Closer Look' - see if you can find a download. It was made to teach potential hunters how to tell a trophy bear from smaller, younger, and females that may have cubs. The video parades 80 different video clips, then has several video clip tests - it teaches you how to tell a young bear you might scare off vs a trophy bear you would not scare and best walk around to avoid. Its not the trophy bear that will kill you - they don't get big like that being stupid around people - its is injured, sick, old, inferm bear that will risk attacking a human.

You need to know how to size up a bear in a few seconds. Is it old, sick? Can I see the ribs? Is it limping? If this is coming toward you - don't bother trying to scare it off - draw and fire, and keep shooting until it stops moving.

You see a bear with big, huge teddy bear ears, ears that look to big for its head - or - it looks like its walking on stilts with stick legs? This will be a young, foolish bear you should be able to scare away.

The bear that is fat and round like Winnie-the-pooh and its ears look impossibly small for the head? The tail looks laughingly small? The legs look like tree trunks? This will be a big trophy bear you will never be able to scare off. However, you should be able to walk away from it so long as you do not run. Don't stare at the eyes - actually pretty easy to do since its the big claws that catch my attention - and do not turn your back fully to it when walking away. Your pistol will do you no good if its at the bottom of your backpack in a situation like this. And if you don't already have rounds in the pump shotgun or stuffed inside your rifle ready to go - you will rue the day.

I live in Alaska and usually travel by ATV. At 64 I am no longer carrying everything on my fricken back. I have a big revolver in a chest holster. I love it. The Galco chest rig is very comfy and keeps the big @ss pistol right where I get to it. I don't sleep on my tummy so I can sleep with it on too. I also keep a 12ga pump shotgun with me full of buck shot and slugs. That pistol - is NOT going to save the day unless its a black bear - the pistol is what I use to 'hold the phone' while I move toward the shotgun.

Yeah, I could just bring a shotgun. Funny thing is they tend to get left with the ATV, or, next to where all the gold panning stuff got unloaded..... and in no time I have wandered away from it. At least to pistol sticks with me everywhere.

Avoiding bears - is not your job. For every 1 you see - you have missed about 20 that saw/smelt/heard/detected you and moved away. Use your binoculars and keep glassing ahead. Stick to the open areas. Be double cautious around water where prey come to drink and bears come to hunt. Steer clear of any injured animals you notice, if you spot a kill site or dead animal - get the hell out of there same way you came in. Have vacuum sealed food and burn your trash and garbage. Do not eat inside your tent! Keep food in a pack well away from your camp where you can see all around it very well.

You can't guarantee that you won't have an encounter but you should make enough noise so that they're aware of your presence.

Make lots of noise, and the bear will avoid you.

When you walk in an area where bears are known to be you should make enough noise so a bear knows that you're coming you should carry at least one can of bear repellent. And if you know that you're going to be in Bear country you should have a high-powered handgun or rifle. And just hope that you never have to use it. Most bears don't attack people. Unless you walk up on them suddenly and they have Cubs. But you need to be prepared and you need to know what to do.

Take an air horn with you and sing out loud all the time. It's startled bears that tend to attack.