Is an AM3+ motherboard capable with AM4 processors? Would I need to upgrade my motherboard?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Nope AM3+ and AM4 are physically different sockets. You cannot use an AM3+ CPU in an AM4 board and vice-versa. If you want to use a Ryzen-based CPU/APU you will need an AM4 board. If you currently have an AM3+ CPU/mobo, you'll need new RAM as well. AM4 only supports DDR4 RAM.

• 1 year ago

No, it won't. However, an AM3+, will run on a AM3 motherboard. Check on the computer website.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You'll need to upgrade...

But be careful with the AM4 processors as well, not all the AM4 chips will work in all AM4 sockets. It depends on the chipset and the motherboard manufacturer. Just something to keep in mind when choosing your new motherboard.

• 1 year ago

They sorta look compatible because the processor package is the same size, but they're not even close

Socket AM3+ has 940 pins, and it only works with DDR3 RAM

Socket AM4 has 1331 pins, and it only works with DDR4 RAM

You would need a new CPU, new motherboard, and DDR4 RAM to upgrade your system. You would have to acquire a new Windows 10 product key, because Windows 10 product keys are tied to the motherboard. However, it is possible to run Windows 10 without a product key but this limits some options and puts a watermark in the corner of the screen.

There is a chance of your current O.S. not working with the new hardware so you might have to reinstall the O.S..

A SSD is recommended to use as the boot drive but it's not required.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

if you type this question on the search bar it might give you some answers

• David
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Not possible sorry the pinouts on the processor are completely different, you would need a new motherboard

• 1 year ago

No. The AM3+ board is completely incompatible with AM4 CPUs. You need to buy a newer board that is AM4 compatible AND DDR4 RAM. The Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs use DDR4 RAM whereas the AM3 CPUs used DDR4.

From what I can gather, some of the newer Ryzen CPUs are picky when it comes to RAM, so you might want to check the list of tested and compatible RAM for your specific board.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.