angel asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Shopping · 9 months ago

Where would I find a legitimate combat sword?

I’m a person that was always intrigued with historical weapons throughout history, and I wish to being a collection of authentic swords and axes that are not only for display, but also for real combat if it ever comes down to it. My question is, where would I shop online for such weapons for these requirements (mainly combat). Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Anything that claims to be battle ready or a combat sword is fake.

Start by learning more about swords and the region where the sword is made, the types of steal used and how they are crafted.

If you are interested in Japanese swords I would recommend the book The Craft of the Japanese Sword

by Hiroko Kapp, Yoshindo Yoshihara

You can get real swords that are modern and hold up they dont have have to be from the 1800's. Swords have been used in combat up to ww2 and later.

If you dont want to be ripped off then you need to do some research and learn about swords. Its an expensive hobby. I have swords in my collection that are worth a few thousand and those are cheap compared to others

A real combat sword would need to be at least early 18th century, probably older than that. Officers have worn swords as part of their dress uniforms ever since (I think Marines still do!) but after guns came into widespread use they never used them for fighting.

I think I might call a few really famous high-priced antique dealers in big cities and ask around. There are places that specialize in military antiques who might be able to locate a 'battle sword' or 'combat sword'. It's gonna cost you though!