Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

In a story, is it wrong to describe a ring as "heart-shaped"?

From an answer I got on another question:

"Rings are ring-shaped. There's no such thing as a heart-shaped ring."

15 Answers

Relevance
  • SRB101
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I googled heart rings and saw countless rings with hearts but no rings that were heart-shaped. You know, maybe you should design one.

• 6 months ago

It is POSSIBLE to twist a piece of metal into the shape of a heart, rather than a circle, which you could then wear on your finger (though not very comfortably) exactly as you wear a ring.

Such a thing is perfectly possible. But it's debatable whether it should still be called a 'ring', as a ring is by definition circular.

A ring with a heart-shaped stone set into it is NOT 'a heart-shaped ring'.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The stone mounted in the ring would be heart-shaped.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Why would you want to ? If its round its a ring, if its a heart its a heart. Don't confuse the reader.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, the ring could have a heart shaped stone or setting.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Certainly it could, but it still wouldn't be 'a heart-shaped ring'.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You should describe it as a ring with a heart-shaped stone. The ring itself -- that is, the band -- shouldn't be described as heart-shaped.

By definition, really, a ring is an oval or circular shape.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No - anyone with any sense would know that you meant the setting, the stone or whatever - not the band.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I really hate to disagree with you, Cogito, but while we might well guess that the writer or speaker probably meant a ring with a heart-shaped setting or stone, the fact remains that they would have described it wrongly. A ring with a heart-shaped setting is not a heart-shaped ring.

• 6 months ago

I knew exactly what you meant

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Zac took the words from my mouth, but they're worth repeating. That is NOT a 'heart-shaped ring'. That's a normal ROUND ring, with a heart-shaped stone set into it.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Either the setting or the gemstone itself could be heart shaped but the ring itself is circular. In some rings part of the band may be bent to form a heart shape but the rest of the band is circular.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yeah it's fine, it just means there is a heart shaped piece attached to band of the ring.

Now if the band itself was heart shaped them you wouldn't be able to put the ring on your finger

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

As I said in my own answer, it is possible to form a 'ring' in the shape of a heart. It would be uncomfortable to wear, but it would be 'heart-shaped'. A ring with a heart-shaped setting is NOT 'a heart-shaped ring'. .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.