Do democrats have any idea how ignorant they sound when they claim that Nazis weren't socialist?!?

• Bill

Do Republicans have any idea how ignorant they sound when they claim Democrats are socialist?

They absolutely weren't socialists. Here's a free tip: Jonah Goldberg is a political hack whose career is dedicated to smearing liberal ideas and individuals. He's not a historical scholar and has been previously caught fudging elements of his resume. He's not a good source for arguing that the Nazis were socialists.

The "case" that Nazis are socialists is mainly based on two things. First is that their full name is National Socialist German Worker's Party. This is a phenomenally stupid argument, however. If we use this to believe that the Nazis were socialists then we would also have to believe that North Korea, one of the most brutal and repressive dictatorships in the world, is a democracy. After all their full name is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The second main argument is that the Nazis favored a strong state, including a robust social safety net (at least for Aryans). But this argument, while not as stupid as the name argument, is also nonsense. Acceptance of the state has nothing to do with left-right alignment and you have people on both sides who laud the state and reject it. Supporting a social safety net also does not make one socialist. Governments of all stripes, including conservative ones such as Reaganite America and Thatcher's Britain, have supported a social safety net. In fact, the modern social safety net was created in 19th Century Europe by conservative politicians.

What makes one a socialist is acceptance of beliefs which constitute socialism. And the Nazis fundamentally rejected all of these ideas. Most fundamentally they rejected the idea, central to socialism, that the fundamental dividing line human society is class. That's the bedrock of socialism and the Nazis completely rejected it. For the Nazis the fundamental diving line of human society was race. The Nazis also rejected central socialist ideas like dialectic materialism and the eventual establishment of a utopian "post historical" society.

• Jeff S

Conservative trolls ignore only people of Hitler's master race were entitled to Nazi socialism!

Concentration camps was the kind of socialism Jews and others got!

So if the Nazis told you they were the good guys would you believe them? Because that's essentially what you're doing here. Using a Neo-Nazi website to try and convince us that their political opponents were the real Nazis.

Since they are ignorant, they would have no ideas.

• Juana

Do you have any idea how ignorant you sound when you claim that they were?

Source(s): First they came for the Communists And I did not speak out Because I was not a Communist Then they came for the Socialists And I did not speak out Because I was not a Socialist Then they came for the trade unionists And I did not speak out Because I was not a trade unionist Then they came for the Jews And I did not speak out Because I was not a Jew Then they came for me And there was no one left To speak out for me (German pastor Martin Niemoeller)

Technically speaking, they weren't. Socialism is PUBLIC ownership of the means of production. The Fascists left the economy in PRIVATE hands.

Now, I can certainly be persuaded that instead of 'ownership', we should say 'control', and indeed, the fascists DID control the means of production through a variety of official and unofficial means. When a Nazi representative shows up at your factory and 'suggests' that you make bombs instead of pipes, you know that saying 'no' is a quick way to end up on a train headed east. And contrary to myth, the German citizenry were WELL AWARE what those trains were being used for, even if they didn't know specific details.

But ultimately, this debate about the fascists is pointless. No serious modern political force in the west embraces fascism. Trying to hang fascism on your opponent is little more than name-calling. We can do better in our debate than name-calling can't we?

• If you've watched CNN or MSNBC in the last two years you have to think, apparently not.

RIGHT WING OPINION BLOG QUOTED AS ACTUAL, VALID, REAL, NEWS.

Let's see, I went to UCLA, according to the Wall Street Journal, the best public school in America.

And my professors said Nazi Germany was Right wing and Capitalist.

Hmmm. You never went to college, and work at Wal-Mart.....

Who to believe.....Who to believe........

Do conservatives know how silly they sound when they quote national review propaganda.

Do you know how -stupid- you sound when you insist 'National Socialists' were socialists? 8^P

• You are clearly stupid, when schooled as you have been, you still persist in your ignorance.