Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 months ago

Who will win the USA vs China trade war?

Trump's trade war with China is kill the America and the rest of the world. This is Trump's greatest bet and it is falling apart. The reason is that Americans cannot take pain while the Chinese can play the long game. In a sense this is a repeat of the Vietnam war but it is at the economic level. USA lost the Vietnam despite having overwhelming military might but in the end, it is he human spirit that prevails. Now in the economic war, who can last longer and who can take the pain more? Do you think USA or China will prevail in the Trade War?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No side will win. Trump started this ill-planned and ill-conceived trade war with China. He has no idea what he is doing.

Trump said that trade wars are "good and easy to win." As usual, Trump doesn't know what he's talking about.

If Trump wants to save this economy before it slides into recession, he needs to end this trade war now. Some of the harm done may be irreversible but he can agree to something minor and get China to agree to something minor and both sides can declare victory.

• ...Show all comments
    • Daro
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Nobody ever "stood up to them". Americans have been supporting China ever sence Nixon supposedly "opened up trade with them". Remember when the tea party tried to get rid of the watermelon subsidies in 2011? Demokkks and rest of Repubs got together and said "no phuquing way".

• sam
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

china. trump is an ignorant moron

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

only time will tell, we'll just have to wait and see

• 6 months ago

The PRC is losing the "trade war". You can tell because the Chinese trolls on here are shrieking like demons splashed with Holy Water.

The PRC sells nothing the USA cannot produce domestically or buy elsewhere.

The west - not just the USA - has been letting the PRC get away with wholesale illegal trade practices for more than two decades. It needs to stop.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Nobody wins in a trade war, except the people not in it.

• 6 months ago

This isn't about how much the citizens can take, it's about how much the POLITICIANS can take. Trump ultimately is accountable to elections. He's getting pressure from businesses, consumers, economists, and so forth in addition to the automatic 'we hate you no matter what because you have an R next to your name' crowd that all politicians face.

Xi on the other hand is accountable to almost nobody. Xi's only concern is whether an economic slowdown might cause his people that he is oppressing to finally lose patience and flex their muscles. Because the great bargain in modern China is that the people are letting the Communist Party (which was always a misnomer, but even more so today) dominate poltical and civic life in exchange for economic prosperity. If Xi fails to deliver on that, he's taking a risk. Though not nearly as big a one as Trump.

On the other hand, China is ABSOLUTELY hurt more by the loss of US trade than vice versa. China's economy is smaller, more export dependent, and the US is a critical source of inputs into the Chinese economy like Chemicals, Heavy equipment, and the like.

If Xi is smart, and he appears to be, he won't sign a deal until after the election. It's worth waiting a year and a half to see if Trump will even still be there. If so, he can re-examine at that time. But Trump might not be there, and then he'll have a President eager to repudiate anything and everything Trump did. So he can probably get off easy.

• 6 months ago

china is already feeling the effect

china has a long history of trying to play the EU against the US on trade

i'd like to see the US just ban imports from china

• 6 months ago

Neither will win. Neither will lose. Life will go on.

And that's the way it is. Take it to the bank, son.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Well.. to be optimistic, the USA. But in reality, at this point China is financially set enough that it doesn't need the US. If this was 20 years ago, maybe things would have been different. This is why we shouldn't have made bad trade deals and moved all of our production abroad to begin with. We made China's rising economy if you stop and think about it.

• EdWinter
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Production began moving abroad right after WWII, even before the criminal gang in Beijing took over China.

BTW, we haven't "moved all of our production abroad" - just the low-tech stuff for the most part. You know...toys, shoes, clothing...basic assembly stuff, mostly, including cars.

• 6 months ago

All we have to do, is close the curtain. And I say close it. Forever, for all I care. I hate Chinese products. And I've already been there, so don't care if they restrict us from going there either. Been there, done that. Don't need to see it again. China was a country full of super poor peasants, before we opened the red curtain. Their PPP the purchasing power parity the first year after we began trading with them (which was 1979) in 1980, was $314.00. China's PPP is now $18,416.00. They won't be able to survive without us. All their technology has been stolen from us. When American companies went back in, China's communist rules required they partner up w/Chinese government, with control over their IP to do business there, and so greedy American corps wanting cheap labor were willing to do that. The one thing they can't partner up with (legally) is military companies (although some American corps have tried and got criminally prosecuted for it, and this is how China got better rocket plans that didn't always fail or take out entire villages). But if they could, they would. Because China can't even design an aircraft carrier that works. This is because communism does not foster innovation. And without our ideas, and our wallets buying their crap they stole and remade there, they will be nothing but peasants again, if we re-close that curtain. So I say close it. We were fine without them before, and can be again. It's China who will suffer. Not the US. I am ready for battle (i.e., not buying Chinese crap).

And Trump's trade war is already working, as after Trump began the trade war, China's economic growth rate, is currently at a 27 year low. I say keep it going, because our economy is booming!

• sam
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

$1,000,000,000,000,000 deficit. dream on.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.