How easy is it to change my car horn wires?

I have a corolla 2012 and went for an inspection and they said horn isn't working...so i went and looked and the wire from the connector is broken (connector still attached to horn, broken cable dangling). When i press the horn I hear the relay clicking so I'm guessing I just need to replace the wire from the relay to the horn itself....how easy is this to do? I rather do it myself and not pay an extra 60 or so for a mechanic if possible....thanks.

• M.

You don't need to replace the wire. You need to reattach the old connector or install a new connector.

Find an electrically competent repair person. It's a few minute job. I'd solder the connection.

I don't know if Toyota uses a standard spade terminal or a special connector. Ask at the parts department of a Toyota dealership.

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

• zipper

All you need do is reconnect it to the horn. Any auto store will tell you how to repair the wire! NO BIGGY!

• Edna

Oh, heck - if you don't know how to do it yourself, then take the car to a mechanic and pay him a few bucks to repair the wires.

Get a new terminal at the car part store and crimp it onto the wire, then plug it back up. If the broken wire is too short for this, splice in a new section of wire.

Short answer, Yes, it is easy to fix.

Just take a short length of wire and use a sleeve crimp connector to lengthen the existing wire.

wrap the 2 ends of broken cable together, and wrap some insulation tape around it. If you want to make it look more profesional use a bar type wiring connector

i would just have a mechanic do it

If the horn has standard spade lugs, you can crimp on some new insulated female spade terminals.

You shouldn't have to replace the whole wire. Take the connector that was on the wire and try to find a new one at an auto store. Strip the end of the wire and crimp or solder the new connector onto it, then connect it back to the horn.

You might even get away with reusing the original connector, if you can reconnect the wire to it.

If the wire is now not long enough to reach, it's a simple matter to splice a little piece of wire onto the end, using a crimped sleeve connector, or use a soldered 'western union splice', covered with shrink wrap.

If any of this sounds strange to you, remember YouTube is your friend!

• Lv 4

good answer; also, be sure that its adequately supported & isNot just simply dangling etc

• Phil M

Buy a crimper and some crimp on butt connectors, five bucks or so at wal-mart. Just by-pass the original connector. Make sure to get the wires connected to the same ones as before.

• Phil M

El petard, crimp splices do work when done properly. If you can't pull the wires out they will last a very long time. They are not recommended for restoration however. 2012 corolla doesn't need to look pristine.