Can my employer sue me even if I gave two weeks notice and followed all company procedures regarding quitting?

-I work for a small company and am currently the only one left in my department. It took me a while to learn my skills and while it is not hard to find a replacement, it will be a burden for the company to find a good one, and no replacement will be able to learn what I know in such a short amount of time.

-My boss does know how to do what I am doing, but I do it much better than he does so he will be upset if I leave.

-I have an at-will job and did not sign any sort of contract so doesn't that mean there shouldn't be any repercussions if I quit?

They cannot sue you even if you gave no notice at all and violated all their procedures.

• Yeti

You say you had no contract and are at-will.

Unless you have a contract with requirements for how you quit, you can quit when you want. Two weeks notice is just a courtesy.

Commonly some locations won't compensate you for unused vacation time or similar unless you give adequate notice. But they don't sue you for quitting. If you're at-will, you also cannot sue them if they simply decide it's time to terminate you.

Their resources are best spent finding a replacement, not suing you. You'd only get sued if you did something else you shouldn't, like walk off with a customer list and try to use it to start your own competing business.

Repeat questions are not allowed . You asked this same question within the last week or two,

AT WILL

This means that you can quit, and that, your employer can

terminate your employment at any time without notice.

It is a common courtesy in the US for either party to give

two weeks of notice preceding such action.

• jimmy

NO. There is no law that states you have to give two weeks notice. Obviously you live in the USA. In free countries we don't have that problem.

If you didn't sign an NCA. you can quit anytime, even without 2 weeks notice, which is just a courtesy. Depending on the situation and how dissatisfied I was with an employer, I would quit when they really needed me to complete important work. The employee owes the employer nothing.

Correct; if you're at-will, then you can leave anytime. The only situation where companies sue people in this case is if they take confidential information when they leave, so just don't take any company property at all, even documents or emails. And if you're going to work for a competitor, be sure that you're not in violation of a non-competition agreement.

you aren't a slave, you can leave.