How come Eastern European countries how such a difference when it comes to butchers?

It's all sausage and salami and just loads of cured meats. I have no problem with it I like the Polish shops their meat is very good but just curious to why everything is cured or smoked

7 Answers

Relevance
  • james
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Lack of refrigeration. You need a way to keep meat long term. But in smaller areas they do eat fresh meat. It works like this. You butcher your animal. All you owe fresh meat to come & get there part. It is done on the village or neighborhood level. So they have fresh meat once a week. The rest need preserved in some way. So smoked dried salted, sugared, brime or vinegar Are the main ways.

• denise
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Its just their traditonal foods from their cuisine, I'm sure you'll be able to get other meats, and you dont have to make spicy dishes with it.

• 6 months ago

Cold. Winter. Preservation.

• 6 months ago

The history of food in these places is very long compared to other places. There was a time when the only way to preserve meat was to salt-cure it or smoke it. And nothing was ever wasted, most people were poor. That's why sausages, especially, along with other cured and smoked cuts, became so prevalent.

Those traditions have continued. People eat what they have always eaten, they stay with what they know. I'm sure more fresh beef and pork cuts are available to buy today than there ever was in the past, but it hasn't caught on there to an extent that it's replacing traditional fare.

The US, on the other hand...the colonists brought with them to America their ways of doing things, and you can find ethnic foods anywhere. But the fresh beef steak and roast, and pork, and chicken - those became uniquely American as westward expansion - and learning from the native peoples - led to a whole new way of producing and eating meat.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

A lack of widespread refrigeration at one time? If you can't keep meat cold to keep it from spoiling then smoking, salting, curing or drying are some ways to preserve it.

• Brian
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Why do South Asians like to add a lot of spices to their food, the Japanese eat lots of seafood but Central Asians eat more lamb etc.. or the Irish and the Brits eat a lot of potatos compared to say Thai people?I guess it all comes down to geography, history, culture and what people are used too growing up.

• 6 months ago

smoked meats are good

• liam6 months agoReport

Ah man its so good I truly can't eat British meat unless it's top quality. Ah so good

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.