Is my job illegaly taking money out of my paycheck?

I work at a subway in michigan and the manager and owner believe someone is stealing because the drawer is sometimes short at the end of the day. They told all the employees that if the drawer is short during our shift, they will split the amount that is short with who was working and deduct it from our checks. This, at least in my head, sounds very illegal. They have absolutely no proof evidence of any theft. If the drawer is over, they dont split that into our checks they pocket that. This whole thing seems wrong i think its time for a new job. Any input would be greatly appreciated

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

THAT IS TOTALLY ILLEGAL and should be reported. At minimum they need to install a hidden camera so they know who is the real thief

• 6 months ago

Definitely illegal!

In the old days (maybe still some places) every employee who handles a cash register has his own drawer, so the drawer can be counted out at the end of the day. Even in that case, if there's a shortage, they can't take it out of your check. They can fire you though.

• 6 months ago

Yes. They cannot do that. They can however fire anyone they want.

• 6 months ago

Report this to your state's labor department.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I doubt it legally counts as stealing, but it's certainly not a legitimate practice.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.