What is a "service engine soon" light?

Just had some work done on my car a couple of times and the "service engine soon" light keeps coming on every now and then. I've practically had all new parts put on the old car, can't possibly be anything left to service! Is this just a reminder of something or what?

Favorite Answer

That reminder is almost always a prompt for an oil change. When a mechanic changes the oil he should reset that indication. New parts are not an oil change. So you should have it done when convenient.

You need to go have the codes read! I doubt a good mechanic would be replacing tons of parts without scanning for codes jojo.

• .

It usually indicates there is something that needs fixing in your engine. An auto parts store can give you a free reading and you can Google the code to narrow it down.

• .

Exhaust parts, like your catalytic converter, can also trigger a check engine light.