Can I walk on someone's property and pet their cats legally? Or is that trespassing?

There is no sign or anything. Its near a park where I play disc golf and Its not far from the tee of one of the rounds. I don't do it when they are home.

If I ever saw the owner I would ask to make sure its ok but I never do and I don't want to knock as it would be imposing.

I petted one when she or he was out of the yard. Later I saw that cat and 2 more. One on a trash container and the other 2 on the porch. I pet them with no problems and went back to my disc golf.

I find it highly unlikely anyone is going to shoot me for petting a cat. Not to mention, they probably are not home. I know their van.

• `

Petting someone's cat isn't advisable.

It would be simple Trespass, in my state a 3rd degree misdemeanor.

If the owner, licensee, or the agent tells you personally to leave, and you remain without license to do so it becomes a First Degree Criminal Trespass.

The question is does anyone complain.

• Never

Nobody has complained and I doubt see would. And of course I would not remain if she asked me to leave. I actually put a few cat treats in my bag and feed them to her cats.

In my state, it would be civil trespass, but not criminal.

No, that would be trespassing. It doesn't matter whether there's a sign or not.