Can I walk on someone's property and pet their cats legally? Or is that trespassing?

There is no sign or anything. Its near a park where I play disc golf and Its not far from the tee of one of the rounds. I don't do it when they are home.

If I ever saw the owner I would ask to make sure its ok but I never do and I don't want to knock as it would be imposing.
Update: I petted one when she or he was out of the yard. Later I saw that cat and 2 more. One on a trash container and the other 2 on the porch. I pet them with no problems and went back to my disc golf. I find it highly unlikely anyone is going to shoot me for petting a cat. Not to mention, they probably are not home. I... show more I petted one when she or he was out of the yard. Later I saw that cat and 2 more. One on a trash container and the other 2 on the porch. I pet them with no problems and went back to my disc golf.

I find it highly unlikely anyone is going to shoot me for petting a cat. Not to mention, they probably are not home. I know their van.