Is it hard for the average American to accept that there are individuals in this country attacking a persons right to speak as they please?

I ''get it'' that there are some who abhor firearms but free speech?!?! I find that a difficult concept to grasp.

Favorite Answer

I agree - I'm glad you brought up it - because it was important for me to bring up what happened. I did a little quick research into it and I do not think I can defend what came out of the attackers mouths, but I do believe that there were other views represented that day, some as far-fetched as they have to be, that no reasonable person would disagree with and those people should be punished for their actions. The reason we have laws on the books is to defend Americans' rights to speak and to live freely.

Nope.........................

Free speech does not cover incitement nor threats of harm or injury.

It also dictates having something worth saying.

Freedom of expression also does not imply an obligation to be heard.

I get what you are saying, because there are those who attack the messenger and not the message in retaliation for not complying with the values of the one who is offended.

No this is not hard for me to accept and there is not just one group guilty. About every extreme group has some one who is militant enough to do so to any who oppose them.

I agree with you. I see this as persistence into adulthood of the infantile child insistence on getting whatever they want - the inability to accept in any way anything except what THEY want. Although we all have this to some degree, in those opposed to free speech (and hence, thought) this is the dominant behavioral mode.

Can you give an example of LEGISLATION curtailing free speech? Because, discussing whether something is inadvisable or in bad taste Is not an attempt to curtail free speech.

• virtual_cleo

Oh, I beg your pardon. Individuals. Certainly, there have always been individuals trying to stifle free speech. There are at least as many examples on the right as on the left.